New Contributor

Re: Only have Antenna and I am tired of

Love the View.  The ladies are totally relevant and almost always funny.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

Watching the View................really change the subject.  I am so tired of watching them but I am bored. Yet I can't take them much any more.  Thats all.

You could give books or audio books a try. Since you have a computer, you might also want to try some podcasts. I'm lucky enough to live in an area with a fantastic NPR station with a companion music station, so there's pretty much always something interesting on the radio.  If you have an antenna, do you get your local PBS station? They vary a lot, but mine usually has something good on once the children's shows are over.

Respected Contributor

OP, you've mentioned both Hulu and Netflix previously. Watch those if what you can pull in with the antenna isn't to your liking. Or contact your cable company and find out what the absolute cheapest cable package you can get is and re-work your spending priorities to see if you can afford it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Put on some music and do something to keep your mind stimulated!  Read, or do a puzzle or maybe word puzzles or crosswords, heck even coloring!  So many things you can do.  It's unreasonable to expect every show to appeal to you.

Honored Contributor

Don't watch them.  Watch another channel or turn the tv off and do something else.

Respected Contributor

Your local library may be a free source, mine is.  I can get books , audio books , movies  and TV shows free from my library card and the internet.  I also have Netflix streaming, Amazon streaming and Netflix DVD plans  

Trusted Contributor

I called a company and they said a antenna called terk could possibly get me more channels but I am around concrete builidngs so it may not work and it is $40 but I am going tomorrow or Thursday and take back the new computer as my other computer just came on after 5 weeks.  I am going to miss my new one but I don't need to keep both so I will try this Terk I think its called and put that in my bedroom. 

I miss cable but not the prices.  Besides I only watched like 10 channels. 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you but the cheapest package of cable gives me 12 channels and three are sports and it is just not worth $40 so I am going to check into Netflix but it seems you get more choices on Netflix with dvd's?  Our cable is crazy high.........we are a tiny town and they rob us.........but I will buy movies at Flea markets and check out another antenna that is more expensive and they think I might get more channels.  I can always take it back so I will do that by Thursday. I am not sleeping again no matter how many pills I take so I am too tired and weary to do anything right now.  Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Netflix has a free trial period so you could sign up to see if you like what's there and cancel after a week if you don't think you'll use it.

You could go online to various TV station's websites.  Some have free shows available for streaming.  Other shows require a subscription or require you to enter a password set up through a cable provider.  You could still browse and see which freebies are available.

I also like previous suggestion to visit your local library.  Our library has lots of shelves full of DVDs with many popular movies and TV shows.  Just always be sure to note the due date because here the overdue fines can add up each day if I'm not careful.

Valued Contributor

I'm like you  with just antenna to watch...Will not pay for watching TV again!! What a rip off IMO..

Also like you, Hate the View...Hate Whoopie and Joy..Who cares what their views are?.. Not me..I know it's a popular show, but not with me.  Has become a political farse, IMO..and I do not think any of them are funny..Just rude..no wonder some of the younger generation has no values/morals anymore...

Where are the decent shows? I like a good story line, not some  reality show that is so scripted  (seems like that's all that's on these days).... I can't even stand to watch the so-called news shows anymore..mostly about entertainment/rumors,  while the news flashes across the bottom of the screen..Who cares who /why people break up, who's sleeping with who, who's baby daddy is whos,  etc, etc.constantly .laughing, screaming, arguing,  blah, blah, blah......

I do however like PBS, when I can get it to come in...

So i don't watch TV much anymore..I can watch something on my DVR/VCR/computer if I'm bored.. Networks are in a sad state of affairs..IMHO....