Honored Contributor

Re: Oh my - Imitation of Life

@MKR14 wrote:

I watched this yesterday and cried at the end as I always have. This has been my "all time favorite movie". Juanita Moore played Annie and Lana Turner, Sandra Dee, and John Galvin were the other main players. The daughter of Annie-not sure of her name-did an awesome job also. I have watched this over the years at least 10 times and it touches my heart every time. I felt every feeling of all these actors and no other movie has ever done that. When others cry over a movie I usually don't even if I feel it was very good. You will never regret watching this. I just happened to be changing channels when I found it yesterday. It was halfway through but I loved seeing it again. Smiley Happy

Actress Susan Kohner played Sara Jane, great actress, married the designer John Weitz.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have only see the Lana Turner movie, didn't know there was an earlier one.  Love it!

In addition to this one, Lana was in so many great movies, Madam X, Portrait in Black, The Postmas Always Rings Twice, and on and on.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jamma  Can't you "recover" those movies?  I have TiVo and even if I have deleted something, I can always get it back.  I'll bet you can.

Honored Contributor

Back Street, another tear jerker also from same writer as Imitation of Life, Fannie Hurst.

Honored Contributor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imitation_of_Life_(1934_film)

Original movie version of Imitation of Life from 1934.

Trusted Contributor

I watched both versions the other day as they had the older version on first and then the Lana Turner one, and I cried during both of them.  The acting was so good and the storyline so sad.  I felt so bad for the mother, she was such a wonderful person and her daughter realized too late.

Esteemed Contributor

@sophiamarie

Yes, another excellent movie.

I LOVE Lana in almost anything.  She is hypnotic on the screen.  Know little of her real life, but on screen, she is another "force of nature" woman!

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle

You all are killing me!

Backstreet is another of the greats.  Susan Hayward is perfect in this role -- saw it many years ago and fell in love with John Gavin.

I used to dream of being Rae and moving to Paris!

Did not know it was from the same writer, though.  How interesting. 

Thanks for that wonderful nugget.

Trusted Contributor

I just checked TCM for Madame X to DVR it and it says it is the 1929 version with Ruth Chatterton. I was hoping it was the one with Lana Turner which I loved. I will not watch the older version.
Honored Contributor

@snowball wrote:
I just checked TCM for Madame X to DVR it and it says it is the 1929 version with Ruth Chatterton. I was hoping it was the one with Lana Turner which I loved. I will not watch the older version.

They are only showing movies that earned Oscars or nominations, so probably the newer version did not.