Honored Contributor

Re: New Spanish Target Commercial with Rita Moreno

@DCAnnie2004 wrote:

The refrain "Soy Yo" means "I'm me."  Basically the song is about empowerment.  Great commercial!

Thank you.  I like your attitude, @DCAnnie2004

It seems to almost scare so many others.  I loved it, and the most Spanish I know is a remnant from high school.  (Although I must say I'm pleased I did remember what "Soy yo" meant.)

Frankly, I don't see why, whatever language it's in, people can't enjoy it for what it is.  It's lively, beautiful, and shows women being who they want to be (with the help of products Target carries, of course). 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I was going to post this but....OK, so back when John Warner was a Senator (he was married to Elisabeth Taylor) that was a long time ago, I sent him a letter telling him I was concerned because I see so many signs that are in Spanish.

I also sent a similar letter to Senator George Allen.  The year was around 2004 (maybe earlier).

Senator Warner told me (I still have the letter) that he was putting a Bill before the Senate (for the records) that ENGLISH would go in the records as the United States of America was an English speaking country.

I have no idea if it happened.  Now look where we are.

Respected Contributor

I don't mind that this commercial was played on English speaking channels because all one has to do is ask someone to help them in the translation!  Fun!! And good way to meet people!  Perhaps, Target could have placed English subtitles under their Spanish speaking commercials and who knows maybe they will do that in the future.  In the meantime, I am really enjoying all the incarnations of these Spanish speaking Target commercials....they're cute, clever and just fabulous!!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I don't like it either.

Esteemed Contributor

Target has made some mistakes lately and the finances are showing it. I like when they show all nationalities but the language we speak is English. Target does not get it, we are now voting and protesting with our wallets. Too many other places to shop.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@lovestopaint wrote:

THIS IS AMERICA ...WE SPEAK ENGLISH HERE !!

Actually English is spoken in England. Smiley Very Happy

• Number of languages spoken in the U.S.: 311.
  • Those languages indigenous to the U.S: 162
  • Those that are immigrant languages: 149
  • There are 14 million households in the United States where English is not the primary language.

How Many Languages are Spoken in the U.S. Exactly?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@lovestopaint wrote:

THIS IS AMERICA ...WE SPEAK ENGLISH HERE !!

Actually English is spoken in England. Smiley Very Happy

• Number of languages spoken in the U.S.: 311.
  • Those languages indigenous to the U.S: 162
  • Those that are immigrant languages: 149
  • There are 14 million households in the United States where English is not the primary language.

How Many Languages are Spoken in the U.S. Exactly?

It doesn't matter how many languages are spoken in homes in the US, we are an English speaking country. I'm so sick of the catering to the Hispanic community. When the Cuban immigrants came to the US in the 50's, they were grateful to escape a dictatorship and learned English and felt an obligation to adapt to US culture. As it should be. We are not to adapt to the Hispanic culture and language. What about all the German, Italian, French, etc,, Americans?  It's absurd. You can speak whatever language you want to in your own home as so many do. Learn to speak and read English. If you don't like that, go to a Spanish speaking country. 

Valued Contributor

I always find it interesting that some in this country are so vehement about speaking English only yet how often do Americans  go abroad and the first question they ask in a country with a different language "do you speak English?"  I like the Target ads and all this ripping apart from some over Targets policies reminds me that I need to go buy something at Target

Esteemed Contributor

I get upset because my grandmother and all of her neighbors who came through ELLIS ISLAND LEGALLY HAD TO LEARN THE LANGUAGE OF THE LAND.  EVEN HISPANICS BACK THEn.  The true Immigrants back in the day.  VERY TOUGH FOR THEM.  Now we have to learn their language in our country.

Respected Contributor

I enjoy the commercial , I do wish they would place an English translation under it. Several decades have passed for me since 8th grade Spanish.

I will pay better attention next time I hear it . I did not know Rita Moreno was on it. An actress who has won a Tony, Emmy, Oscar, & I believe a Grammy ?

I do not see how sharing others culture and language is a bad thing. Of course that opinion may be questioned by a true native American -- they tried to share and look what they got .

I appreciate living in a melting pot !