Respected Contributor

New Season Hits & Misses (After 6 Weeks)

[ Edited ]

From USA Today - hit & misses after 6 weeks into the new season:

Top 5 for the new season (number of viewers):

1. Bull (CBS) 17.6
2. Designated Survivor (ABC) 15.0
3. This is Us (NBC) 13.9
4. Kevin Can Wait (CBS) 11.8
5. MacGyver (CBS) 10.7

Fox's Leathal Weapon and ABC's Speechless also ranked high.

-------------------------------------------------------

New shows not doing so well:

Notorious (ABC)

Conviction (ABC)

Pitch (FOX(

The Exorcist (FOX)

No Tomorrow (CW)

--------------------------------------------------------

Returning shows, this season vs. last season:

Sunday Night Football (NBC) -23%

Scream Queens (FOX) -52%

Rosewood (FOX) -25%

New Girl (FOX) -25%

Brooklyn Nine-Nine (FOX) -25%

Lucifer (FOX) -25%

Scorpion (CBS) -23%

Blindspot (NBC) -41%

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC) -27%

How to Get Away With Murder (ABC) -34%

They're blaming the lower ratings on "new time slots or weaker lead-ins".

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

Re: New Season Hits & Misses (After 6 Weeks)

Very surprised Bull is beating out This Is Us. Not surprised HTGAWM is going downhill, the most difficult to follow of them all.  I gave up on this one last year.

Esteemed Contributor

Other than an occasional Monday Night Football when the Az Cardinals are playing I've only seen 1 of the new shows and it's Designated Survivor. I stopped watching HTGAWM halfway through the first season. Couldn't follow it. 

Honored Contributor

The fact that Kevin Can Wait is in the top five makes me sad for America.

I really like parts of No Tomorrow, but feel like it should be a 30 minute show, not 60, and that they need to ditch the horrible plot line about the office romance the boss is trying to start with the uninterested employee. That's sexual harassment and it's no joke.

I'm sad Conviction isn't doing better. Of the shows on the "not doing so well" list, that's my favorite.

Honored Contributor

I am sad that Notorious isn't doing better. I really like the show. It is a little hard to follow, but it is very good with lots of twists and turns! I really hope that HTGAWM starts doing better, it is a little off track, but hopefully wil l turn around, I haven't given up on it yet!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised that "Bull" is doing so well.  I find it to be only so-so.  If I didn't like Michael Weatherly, I wouldn't have even stuck out the first episode.  Even so, I'm not sure how long I'll continue watching.

I'm not surprised that "Lucifer" viewing is down this season.  It's not very interesting this year, although I can't really put my finger on why.  Plot and dialogue just isn't as good as the first season.

I don't watch any of the other shows listed.

Honored Contributor

I like Bull, and the fact that there's a connection to Dr. Phil, whom I don't like, has no impression on me one way or the other.

I think the premise is interesting and engaging, and I think Michael Weatherly does enough to distinguish himself from NCIS. Still wish he were there, though.

Did anyone else notice in next week's preview on NCIS that SENIOR (Tony's father) still played by Robert Wagner, was going to appear? Hope he becomes recurring. Very nice touch.

Honored Contributor

I'd read that the Exorcist was not doing well, though I think it got a slight bump last week. It's one of the few new (or old) shows I'm still watching and think it's being done very well. Last week's episode, despite the higher ratings, wasn't among my favorites, but overall I like the show. I'm also not minding Timeless. While the episodes are uneven, the historical sequences can be fun.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

We have been pleasantly surprised by Designated Survivor. It is a little more intense than most of the shows we normally watch, but we are enjoying it. I am enjoying Bull, primarily because I could watch Michael Weatherly read the telephone book. It would be nice if I liked some of his cast members, though! Conviction is a problem, because none of the characters are especially likable, primarily the lead actress. I do like the plot premise, however.  We have taped Pitch, but haven't watched it yet.

Regarding Kevin Can Wait's popularity, I am not surprised. I saw a preview and thought how dumb it sounded to me and predicted it would be a hit! I haven't watched a situation comedy in years and years. 

Esteemed Contributor

Now for the new shows. Here are the top performers ranked by their adult 18-49 rating, including DVR playback when available. Shows in bold have already been picked up for a full season:

This Is Us (NBC): 3.6 rating; 12 million viewers 
Designated Survivor (ABC): 3.4 rating; 13.7 million 
Kevin Can Wait (CBS): 2.8 rating; 11.1 million 
Speechless (ABC): 2.4 rating; 8.1 million 
Lethal Weapon (Fox): 2.4 rating; 8.7 million
Bull (CBS): 2.3 rating; 16 million 
– Timeless (NBC): 2.0 rating; 8.1 million 
– The Good Place (NBC): 1.8 rating; 5.8 million 
– American Housewife (ABC): 1.8 rating; 6.2 million 
MacGyver (CBS): 1.7 rating; 10.4 million 
– Man with a Plan (CBS): 1.6 rating; 7.3 million (just premiered)
– Son of Zorn (Fox): 1.5 rating; 3.4 million 
– Notorious (ABC): 1.4 rating; 5.8 million
– Pitch (Fox): 1.4 rating; 5.1 million
– Disreputable (ABC): 1.2 rating; 5.6 million
– Exorcist (Fox): 1.1 rating; 3 million
– Conviction (ABC): 1.0 rating; 5.6 million
– Frequency (The CW): 0.4 rating; 1.4 million
– No Tomorrow (The CW): 0.4 rating; 1.1 million