Honored Contributor

Re: My 600 Pound Life: Irony

I've seen commercials for it.  I was listening to XM Satellite Radio Entertainment Weekly and there were two twins who were on talking about when they were on the show.

They said they both had by-pass surgery and have been loosing weight.  They were asked if the show was going to do a 'follow up' and they said they were in talks about it.

Honored Contributor

No one in these shows seems to have an income....who pays for the ambulance trips every month to the hospital for this or that reason?  Who pays to move them  if they move closer to the clinic?   Who pays their rent?  Who pays for the hospitalization and the surgery?  Who pays for the skin removal?  They always seem to have nice cars. Who buys them the cars? Who pays for all the food and grocery / junk food stops at the take out?  How do these people pay for all of this and the entire family does not have an income?  I think only one gal on the show actually had a job she went to. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I wonder about those same exact things.  They leave their homes in a "white" car and then they are in a "SUV".  Maybe TLC is renting cars for them while they are in Houston??

If they are on Medicaid, wouldn't the ambulance trips be paid by insurance??  Maybe TLC is paying for the things that insurance won't pay for, in exchange for the "story"????  I don't know.  It's so confusing.  Also, when they move to Houston, they all seem to move into the same-looking apt. complex.  

How do they just pick up and leave anyway?  Who takes care of their things while they are in Houston?  It looks so easy to just pack up and go.  On one show, one of the people had two dogs (small ones) and they travelled with them.  It was a long trip too.  They arrive in Houston and go directly to the doctor's office????  Did they leave the dogs in the car??  This gal was with her mother if I remember correctly.

I sure would be interested in knowing a lot more than what we are seeing on TV.  I really do believe that TLC is picking up the tab for whatever Medicaid doesn't cover.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sophiamarie   If Medicaid. Covers all of this, then the American  Taxpayer is paying the bill for people who Choose to eat wrong and overeat.  They are cramming food into their mouths constantly on the show....  Stopping at fast food restaurants ON THE WAY to see the Doctor who does the surgery.  They made themselves fat, it is not a disease. I do not think tax payers should foot the bill for people who decide to eat 30,000 calories a day. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden  You got THAT right.  We are all paying for them, their families who have to stay home to take care of them, etc.  They sure have enough money to buy all that food, supermarket shopping, fast food, etc.

The most obnoxious one of all (IMO) was the women whose husband went to the supermarket (she also has a small son) and calls her from the store to see if she needs anything other than what was on her list and she wouldn't answer the phone.  I don't know why but he was "hurt" because he wanted to get her some kind of treat and he wanted to know which one she wanted.  I think her name is Penny

I just LOVED her rationale when it came to her son.  She said he gets more attention than most kids whose mothers work - because she's a "stay at home mom"....LOL

Valued Contributor

I am sorry that this thread has turned into a "bash the fat people" fest.  My original intention was to praise the "600 lb. Life" series for being honest and for motivating many others to keep up the struggle. My objection was to the TLC Network promoting "My Big Fat Fabulous Life" at the same time that it was showing people almost dying on screen from the very condition that they glorify in MBFFL.

I am rather disturbed at the amount of venom and spurious criticism of those who are patients of Dr. Nowzaradan's.  What you observe on TV is highly edited and condensed. Your suppositions as to who pays for these patients, and your bashing of people with weight problems contribute to the misunderstanding that keeps many people running to food for comfort. 

Obesity is a disease that often needs medical intervention and psychiatric help to overcome. 

Thank you for your understanding and compassion.

Esteemed Contributor

Have you noticed how many of the women that go to therapy on the show say that they were s*@ually abused?  I have a hard time believing that.  Almost everyone of them says the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I know that sick stuff goes on more than we know, but I feel that they are looking for something to say that will give them the excuse for being large and everyone feels bad for children that are abused in that manner. Or in any manner, actually.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

If it were a simple uncomplicated process to recover from morbid obesity, no one would be fat. 

Super obesity is a complex, frustrating, often humiliating life state, and is not easily resolved. Even after major weight loss, the urge to overeat is intense, and the success rate in maintenance is low.

I often wonder why people who do not battle obesity refuse to acknowledge the truths about "Fat Life".

Why would one assume that enormously heavy people are somehow happy or content or satisfied with life? The vast majority of people living the Fat Life are in agony. I think of My 600 Pound Life as an honest attempt to share the struggles that such a life entails.

I also think that anyone who embarks upon any attempt at rehabbing from such an existence is brave indeed. I too find the show encouraging, @Colinka! Credit to your husband! 

I think ANYONE who attempts to solve an overwhelmingly difficult problem, no matter what it is, deserves sympathy and support, and never another helping of "why don't you just stop eating junk food" and similar nonsensical suggestions so often extended to them by "kind" onlookers who have no idea what living with an eating disorder is like.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I can't watch shows like that.    I lost my first cousin to morbid obesity.    She was over 500#..........very proud of her weight, and didn't think anything was wrong.   

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure you realize that what she was saying was not very likely what she was feeling.

As morbidly obese people attempting to remain in the world with people who don't understand the struggle, we often say things that don't accurately portray our actual feelings, because we assume that an attempt on our parts to express what really happens in our thoughts would be considered ridiculous, since we could cure ourselves by "not eating" or "not eating junk food fast food too much food etc.etc.etc.....".

Honored Contributor

Thank you for sharing your truth, @chrystaltree!