Regular Contributor

Re: Movie ""The Imitation Game""

On 4/10/2015 lovestoteach said:

Love Roses... I would like to understand more... and I should probably read the book!

This may sound dumb... but we all might have been living under a ""Hitler"" society had it not been for Great Britain stopping the Germans from their incessant bombing raids... if I interpreted the movie correctly.

I didn't come away thinking that at all and in fact was saddened by what the Britians did to people unlike themselves!! This and The Theory of Everything are my 2 favorites this year!!

"You never know when the last time is the
last time."
Respected Contributor

People in all countries always treated the others who are different badly. It is a human nature, we all are not great. What bugs me is that these days any movies, shows,plays etc has to be about "different" person or persons. It is very into your face to the point of being annoying, and I am very accepting person. This movie had to be about a heroic human genius that helped to win the war.thats all.
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/11/2015 SANNA said: People in all countries always treated the others who are different badly. It is a human nature, we all are not great. What bugs me is that these days any movies, shows,plays etc has to be about "different" person or persons. It is very into your face to the point of being annoying, and I am very accepting person. This movie had to be about a heroic human genius that helped to win the war.thats all.

You are correct Sanna. I think that oftentimes movies are used to teach or educate people. Many have an agenda as well. I just over look the 'in your face' agenda and focus on the story/accomplishment.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I liked it, but not that great.

Respected Contributor

I guess my expectations had been raised to an unfair level as I found the movie interesting, but not as amazing as reviews would have led me to think it was. I also found the use of the autistic-ish portrayal to be frustrating as, according to those who knew him, Alan Turing was not at all socially inept and had a great sense of humor. I'm glad I rented the movie rather than buying it.

Honored Contributor

On 4/13/2015 Marsha2003 said:

I guess my expectations had been raised to an unfair level as I found the movie interesting, but not as amazing as reviews would have led me to think it was. I also found the use of the autistic-ish portrayal to be frustrating as, according to those who knew him, Alan Turing was not at all socially inept and had a great sense of humor. I'm glad I rented the movie rather than buying it.

I saw it last winter and while I thought it was a good movie, I found it far from amazing.

Frequently after I see these history driven movies, I research the subject. In this case I found some of the moments (in this movie) I found profound, never took place.

Honored Contributor

Didn't it win a lot of oscars (which amazes me)?

Esteemed Contributor

Let me comment - NO movie will be 100% factual in all it's tale. There's only so much time (usually 90 minutes) to tell a story (some are 2-3 hours). Every single thing done and said every day would bore you and have no significance. It is not possible.

I failed to observe Mr. Turing as Autistic, different yes but that was how he was. I didn't write the critics reviews but they often will praise many films as it's their job to do so. With the garbage that comes out as feature films, I found this genuinely entertaining and am reminded of the sacrifices of so many for us all.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

We watched it last night and really enjoyed it. It made me very sad to think how the UK handled homosexuality. One interesting note I read was that his suicide was arsenic poisoning (slightly referenced in the film). A half-eaten apple laced with arsenic was found by his body. The apples were referenced in the film as well when he gave them out as a peace offering to his colleagues.

Respected Contributor

On 4/13/2015 Love Roses said:

I failed to observe Mr. Turing as Autistic, different yes but that was how he was.

The movie portrayed him as someone not able to understand jokes or empathize with others' feelings, common behavioral aspects of those on the spectrum. Writings by his brother and others who worked with him contradicted that characterization.