Respected Contributor

Modern day Soap Operas toy with our emotions?

It is almost like the media version of playing house instead solving issues or a moral to a story at some point one feels they are being played.

In some version it is making allowances or out right breaking the principles, even design intentionally to break commitments. None of the soaps now day has a descendent role model or stability. Not all families are dysfunctional as the world would like us to believe.

Honored Contributor

Re: Modern day Soap Operas toy with our emotions?

I think the role model version of soaps went out the door with shows like "Guiding Light", shows like that.

Just like in real life, there was always a family who had role models. Remember the mothers whom everyone would come to for advice? I can't remember them, I'm sure others can.

I do remember the As The World Turns Family. Lisa was the one who was always messing up. There was Bob's Mother. She was lovely, kind and the matriarch of the group.

But in real life you read about the grandmothers who are very young and 'doing their own thing'.

I don't want my post, anyway, to become a commentary of today's life style. I will say that I do remember Java and I know what you are saying.

Anyone remember some of the families of past Soaps and the matriarchs? I know Eric I guess would be one now for Bold and Beautiful.