Super Contributor

Melissa McCarthy On SNL - Feb. 1st

Unfortunately as the host of last night's Saturday Night Live (one of the least funny in recent memory, BTW), Melissa McCarthy was up to her same old boring Mike & Molly tricks that included portraying uncouth, obnoxiously loud, overbearing characters and performing ridiculously unnecessary pratfalls. Did McCarthy take stunt training and learn only one trick? Just like on her sitcom, she managed to throw herself out a window again. AGAIN! It's old and cliché. Admittedly, while I never was a fan of physical comedy, schtick like this was just pathetic. It's as if the ghosts of John Belushi and Chris Farley have returned and now are inhabiting Melissa McCarthy's body. Uh-oh, have I inadvertently given the unholy terror from Bridesmaids and Identity Thief the plot of her next feature film? Here's the pitch: a female sitcom star, obsessed with the late John Belushi and Chris Farley, wants to leave TV behind and transition permanently to feature films, to achieve their levels of stardom. While watching old SNL repeats during a storm, she's struck by a lightning bolt that arcs from the TV into her body, causing their spirits and mannerisms enter her body and overtake her personality. Excuse me - I need to get to work on this script. It won't win any Oscars, but guaranteed it'll make millions.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Melissa McCarthy On SNL - Feb. 1st

keri, I agree. I hate what they've done with her since her role on Bridesmaids. I loved her as she was as Sookie on Gilmour Girls, etc. I don't know that she's chosen to become the caricature that she has, but that's her money maker. So whether she's seeking out those roles or her agent and powers that be are pushing her into it, that's too bad. She's a beautiful girl and it's sad that that's how she's always portrayed. Trivia, did you know she's Jenny McCarthy's cousin?

I should add that I'm not a huge fan of that kind of humor, either.

Super Contributor

Yes, I knew that they were cousins and I admire the familial loyalty they've shown for each other whenever controversies arose. Recently there was the ELLE magazine cover that prompted allegations of size-bias because stylists bundled Melissa in a large, albeit designer trenchcoat, when models on other covers were less covered up. Later Melissa stated that she'd personally selected the expensive coat, loved it and felt absolutely beautiful in it. Jenny has been criticized for controversial views on autism treatment.
Respected Contributor

I don't care for her style of comedy either. It's such a shame because the rest of the cast of Mike & Molly are really good together. Her character actions, are making it almost impossible to watch the show. Sometimes we watch and sometimes we don't. Feel bad for the rest of the cast.

Valued Contributor

I loved Melissa McCarthy as Sookie but I agree they have gone overboard with her. Her characters always seem the same now and it's getting old.
Super Contributor

I have not watched Mike and Molly since the 1st season, I cannot stand what they did to her character.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not understand why Billy Gardell is not more of a success than he is except for stand up and M&M. He is funnier than she is. She is ok on M&M, but the character that plays her sister is pretty and very funny. She does need to trim down some. I am not bashing heavy people, but she looked so huge on the red carpet.

Respected Contributor

I think she's hysterical. The current writing on SNL is just REALLY bad right now. There are some very talented people on SNL right now, but they can't overcome the unfunny sketches.

I pretty much watch anything Melissa is in...although I've never been a fan of Mike and Molly.