Honored Contributor

Re: Masterpiece: The Durrells In Corfu

[ Edited ]

I really like this .There will never be a dowton abby, ever again ,it was the best.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I watched the second episode tonight, an hour of bad acting and bad writing.

Honored Contributor

I tried to get into it but I just couldn't.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I'm loving it. I don't see any bad acting. I don't like the kids but I don't think I'm supposed to. It will come I think. Couldn't believe when the ceiling fell down and they ate around it. I love the little boy who loves animals.Gerry. The mother is so good. These people were real, you know. They did exist.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with @Judaline; I think it is great!  I'm really enjoying it, and the little boy Gerry is just adorable.  I put in for the first book in the series at the library.

Frequent Contributor

I love it! Even though it's set in 1935 it feels very modern.
Respected Contributor

I'm enjoying the show and look forward to seeing it each Sunday.

Respected Contributor

I too am liking it more each week.  And i like the children.  All of the actors are excellent.  And the setting is so beautiful.  The pace is typically British.  Not a Downton, at least at this point.  But it will do nicely.  I am watching Poldark too and i have to say i like this one better, except for Aiden Turner.   

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the late '80's, when A & E was new, I saw a version of the Durrells story.  Probably from BBC. Hannah Gordon (Richard Bellamy's second wife, Virginia, on Upstairs, Downstairs) was the Mom. Brian Blessed (Augustus in I, Claudius) was Spiros.  

Then, about 10 years ago, PBS had a TV movie based on the book. Matthew Goode (The Good Wife and Lady May's second husband on Downton) was older brother Larry.  

The children and their friends were the focus.  This time it's the Mom.  I like the change.  It's not as mad cap. More about her frustrations with her family not helping her or understanding how desperately she struggled with their financial situation.    

Honored Contributor

@Jannyg wrote:

I agree with most of the posters.  Not great, not awful.  I'll give it another week or two.  I sure hope they find some way to make the children at least a little more likable.

I got the impression the children were purposefully unlikable to make you sympathetic to the Mother. I found it to be dull though and I am not watching.