Honored Contributor

MORE KIBBE'S BODY TYPE SYSTEM, CELEBRITY EXAMPLES

David Kibbe's body-typing system, to me, is more useful for finding your personal style, than many others.  For one, he has 13 different types, so they can be pretty detailed and it's easier to find your style, and therefore the lines and garments that enhance you specifically.

Kibbe-romantic-celebrities-face.jpg

His system was one of the first to be "body-positive"-- in other words, fully embracing whatever type or shape you are, and not trying to emulate some single, lofty, so-called "ideal".

It's all based on height, the amount of "yin" or "yang" in the bone structure, long or short lines, defined waist or not, symmetry or not, flesh or lack thereof, roundness or angularity-- lots of factors.

You might be a "theatrical romantic",  like these ladies.

bb37f00b78e489316d96907b75403474.jpg

Or "classic", or "soft dramatic", or any one of these below:

kibbebodytypes_figurechart.jpg

The one I'm most familiar with is "soft gamine".   When I took the Kibbe quiz, it was the closest to me.   If that's you, you are on the short side (under 5'5, usually shorter), and you have contrasting soft AND sharper elements in your face and body.  Many more characteristics, too many to list here.

Kibbe-soft-gamine-body-type-blog-cover.jpg

My favorite 'soft gamines' from both old Hollywood and new, are:

Eartha Kitt--

3dcf2520198da79399e5aa0a045bfa5b.jpg

yhl67c8cjj551.jpg

Judy Garland--

7b35d8611c6564f82e281c2525220568.jpg

Love their style!  

British actress Jenna Coleman is a "total" soft gamine:

954152360.jpg

She has the typical soft, slightly tousled hair, widish facial bones.  Looks fab in the defined waist, the tight wrist sleeve, higher neckline, and level of intricate clothing detail that really flatters an SG.  "Broken lines".

jenna-louise-coleman-victoria-attend-the-photocall-mipcom-in-cannes-france-oct-17-2016-ifnm-MADPTE.jpg

Typical silhouettes that flatter soft gamine:

200f5439d4ae9ba8a57329311919769b--soft-gamine-gamine-style.jpg

Soft Gamine Octavia Spencer is flattered by the typical SG higher neckline, "fittedness", waist definition, intricacy, controlled gathers.

https __i.pinimg.com_originals_c7_38_8b_c7388bb825ae264b459b46b39213e4f4-1.jpg

Maybe you're a "flamboyant natural" body type:

Kibbe-flamboyant-natural-brities-face.jpg

Diana was one.

flamboyant+natural.jpg

Anyway, huge fun if you like exploring this kind of thing.

If you google Kibbe Body Type Quiz, you can take it and start to absorb the admittedly tons of material on each type.   And I think that Aly Art's youtube channel is still the best interpretation of Kibbe, with clear explanations and LOADS of examples.   If interested, use her as your guide, plus Merriam Style and Frani Matthews youtube channel.

Honored Contributor

Re: MORE KIBBE'S BODY TYPE SYSTEM, CELEBRITY EXAMPLES

I wanted to ask:   If you have taken the Kibbe quiz in the past, or have just taken it, do your results comport with what you think is your best style?

Note--  You might have to take it more than once, and read up on Kibbe before taking.  Some questions are easy-- most people know if they have large eyes or small feet.  But some are harder--  like if you have "blunt" bones...  Reading up will help.

Long before I typed myself as soft gamine, I had realized that shorter jackets, a somewhat more "fitted" silhouette with some waist definition, wearing separates, and a mix of both stiffer and softer fabrics, worked best for me.  And that's soft gamine!

Kibbe recommends that skirts, for example, be more fitted or "come in" at the knee for SG.  I knew that narrower skirts flatter me so much more than wide, A-line.  But it's not so easy to find "tulip" shaped skirts in your standard denim skirt!   Maybe I could get my local tailor to "peg" my skirts, sigh.  

Honored Contributor

Wow, @Foxxee ,  THANK YOU for posting about your style (Dramatic) and the great accompanying pictures!   I love that, and that was exactly what I was hoping someone would do.

It sounds like you are a perfect Dramatic!  Tall and linear, and with pizazz.  My answers were almost total opposite--  mostly D's and E's, and I think I had one A!   But Soft Gamine fit me so well. 

I always wondered why I looked terrible, like a little girl in her mother's clothes, when I went for very tailored, longish blazers, etc.  My personal "lines" were all wrong for that, just like yours are perfect for it!  I only found what worked for me by slow trial and error, but like you, it's nice to have it confirmed by the Kibbe system.

Gosh, I agree it would be fun if more responded, just to see the variety of vastly different types we'd get.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

I clicked on this thread because I didn't understand the title ... very interesting, but I'm surprised I've never heard of this before.   

How did you come across this?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44, thanks for your interest.  I ran across the Kibbe stuff a few years ago, and vaguely thought I was some kind of Gamine, just based on descriptions.

Then, recently, an interior designer whose blog I read, was talking about her style transformation. Her name is Baiyina, and when she realized she was a Soft Classic, everything clicked for her.  She started dressing to her type, and wow, does she look great.  More importantly, she feels exactly like herself now-- her style isn't clashing with HER.

Posting videos here could result in poofing, but if you are interested, google Aly Art or Merriam Style.  They go into this in depth.  Or just google Kibbe Body Types or Kibbe Quiz.  It really is fun, and quite revealing!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, this is interesting but I am not sure what to do with the info at this point in my life😜

Are you old enough to know Twiggy when she first hit the scene, @Oznell?  My face wasn't quite as angular but I definitely resembled and identified with her.  I had the large eyes.

On the test I scored mostly E's followed with D's and then a few A's and C's which puts me in the theatrical romantic category -- a lush yin.  Honestly, I don't identify with that.  

I should know but who is the blonde on the top left of the celeb montage?

Respected Contributor

https __i.pinimg.com_originals_c7_38_8b_c7388bb825ae264b459b46b39213e4f4-1.jpg

She looks stunning. (he's not bad either)

Honored Contributor

Hey, what fun to look like Twiggy, @tansy !   To answer your question, if you're looking at the celeb montage at the top of the post, (which shows "Romantics"), the blonde on the top left (I think) is a glammed-up version of Drew Barrymore?  It's a little hard to tell.

But if you're referring to the top left blonde in the lower montage, the "Soft Gamine" one, then that is one of the Olsen twins. (I never know which one is which).

@lulu1,  agreed!  She looks fabulous, perfectly dressed for her SG style, and he's pretty nice too.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hmmm...I thought it might be Drew Barrymore.  

Just for the record I no longer look like Twiggy 😏

Honored Contributor

True, @tansy , we all evolve, even Twiggy!  I still think you were lucky to have a resemblance to her as your starting point.  She has a bouyant essence that is appealing.