Respected Contributor

I have watched every season.  I really just wait for the wedding and after part.  The first few shows are boring but necessary to let you know about the people.   

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom 

I don't do Instagram and you mentioned a spoiler about one of the guys, could you post it -- with a spoiler line here?  Thanks!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt 

I didn't understand how they could do this show with the CV19 going on.  They kept saying --- we can't hug -- but yet, they were all in close proximity -- touching hands, etc.!  No masks, etc.  Doesn't seem very safe to me..... 

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Wsmom 

I don't do Instagram and you mentioned a spoiler about one of the guys, could you post it -- with a spoiler line here?  Thanks!

Spoiler
Chris and Paige.  His ex is pregnant.  Whatta way to start the marriage!
Respected Contributor

I caught the last 20 minutes by accident, will have to watch the re-run next week.  I've never missed any of these matches, always have hope yet it seems matches are decided more for drama than love. 

I wish the applicants would get better psychological screening to weed out the players and the maladjusted.  It's hurtful when a serious applicant is devastated by someone who signs on for non-serious reasons.

Honored Contributor

I've watched every season- my guilty pleasure! 

This show is partially scripted. I think at the beginning it was more "real," but they're not even trying to hide the "drama for ratings " any longer.

We learned during the Boston season that the experts have very little day to day contact with the couples. They DO get coaching by others. And the "producers" are being shown on camera a lot more these days.

I did hear the spoiler about one of the grooms. I also heard this about him:

Spoiler
Their journey will be "different " but we will see them the entire time. Yeah - I believe they weren't aware of THIS, especially how we saw Pastor Cal interact with him at the end of the show! I knew then they already knew. They will spin it so he "finds out" his former fiancée is pregnant right AFTER he gets married!

All that being said, I believe now (not at first) they match some couples for ratings. I also know quite a few of the brides and grooms are "recruited" by producers, some at the last minute.

Last season's show resulted in 3 successful marriages. Is it because they were matched perfectly? Maybe. But I think it's more like costars on any TV show who meet and fall for each other.  

Should be fun to watch these couples!  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

DH and I  have been watching this since it first began.  I believe in the beginning the pros, though different than the ones on now, other than Dr. Pepper did have good intentions of matching people to find a good partner for marriage.

However, after the last few seasons, I feel this show is going the way of the Bachelor/ette franchise.  I do think some do come on the show to find a mate; however, I think there are more that go on just for the TV exposure and what it can do for their future.

Out of the 5 couples, I guess we'll find out who makes it.  The show doesn't have a great amount of them who actually made it after 11 seasons.

Honored Contributor

@HisElk1 wrote:

DH and I  have been watching this since it first began.  I believe in the beginning the pros, though different than the ones on now, other than Dr. Pepper did have good intentions of matching people to find a good partner for marriage.

However, after the last few seasons, I feel this show is going the way of the Bachelor/ette franchise.  I do think some do come on the show to find a mate; however, I think there are more that go on just for the TV exposure and what it can do for their future.

Out of the 5 couples, I guess we'll find out who makes it.  The show doesn't have a great amount of them who actually made it after 11 seasons.

@HisElk1 - I agree with you completely. Remember Dr. Joseph on the first seasons? They used to show him studying the applications and commenting on them. I'd like to think that was legitimate. And as a psychologist, he should be very aware of any perceived deception- even on a TV show! 

I learned a lot during the Philadelphia season too. DD's college friend worked with Luke in engineering. She said he was nothing like how they portrayed them and the couples are aware the producers might twist their personalities some. He couldn't talk much about things of course, but she told DD he's a nice guy. He is also in a serious relationship now.  

When I started watching the first episodes and saw the MAFS babies I realized how much I'm missing "Couples' Couch"! 

It's also been fun to watch the producers try to bring drama into the relationships of couples who are already seeming to be falling completely for each other- like Danielle and Bobby from the Dallas season, who just welcomed Baby #2!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom 

Yikes!!!!  Oh, dear!  Thanks for your reply!  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MARRIED AT FIRST SIGHT

[ Edited ]

@Free2be wrote:

I caught the last 20 minutes by accident, will have to watch the re-run next week.  I've never missed any of these matches, always have hope yet it seems matches are decided more for drama than love. 

I wish the applicants would get better psychological screening to weed out the players and the maladjusted.  It's hurtful when a serious applicant is devastated by someone who signs on for non-serious reasons.

@Free2be  after  seeing this thread yesterday I watched it OnDemand!

I don't recall the names- but the guy who wants a submissive wife that is a "freak" in bed?  omg I'd show him the door SO FAST!  He was also the one who broke an engagement 3 mos prior. (and spoilers were noted here about him). This MAFS couple is going to be a   mess.Woman Frustrated the pairing had to be for ratings!