Esteemed Contributor

Re: Let's Do the Time Warp Again!

[ Edited ]

@RazorSharp wrote:

I'm a huge fan of the original ffilm, saw the Broadway revival of the live show in 2001 as well as the live Broadcast of the stage show from London last October.  I know this show like the back of my hand, and I have to say this version on Fox is awful.  Laverne Cox is dreadful. The only good thing about it so far is Annaleigh Ashford as Columbia, and I feel so bad for her for being involved in this dumpster fire.

I don't think it's awful- but something jsut isn't meshing. The performances are all okay, only Adam Lambert is/was exceptional. Eddie isn't around long enough, I loved Meatloaf's performance way back when too!! 

I also saw it on Broadway- with Sebastian Bach and D i c k  Cavett!! 

Trusted Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

I'm a huge fan of the original ffilm, saw the Broadway revival of the live show in 2001 as well as the live Broadcast of the stage show from London last October.  I know this show like the back of my hand, and I have to say this version on Fox is awful.  Laverne Cox is dreadful. The only good thing about it so far is Annaleigh Ashford as Columbia, and I feel so bad for her for being involved in this dumpster fire.

I don't think it's awful- but something jsut isn't meshing. The performances are all okay, only Adam Lambert is/was exceptional. Eddie isn't around long enough, I loved Meatloaf's performance way back when too!! 

@Ibby114 I saw it with Cavett, too.  Sebastian Bach joined the cast as Riff Raff later on in the run.  My friend, Marc, played the role when I saw it.  I'm trying to figure out what is up with Laverne Cox's accent.  It sounds like she's trying to do British, but it's coming across as sort of an Australian who had gum surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RazorSharp wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

@Ibby114 I saw it with Cavett, too.  Sebastian Bach joined the cast as Riff Raff later on in the run.  My friend, Marc, played the role when I saw it.  I'm trying to figure out what is up with Laverne Cox's accent.  It sounds like she's trying to do British, but it's coming across as sort of an Australian who had gum surgery.

Laverne is trying to mimic Tim Curry's performance- but there will only be one TIm Curry! 

Valued Contributor

I'm watching the show and it just makes me want to watch the original. I think this is one of those movies that is best left alone because any remakes will just pale in comparison. I love seeing Tim Curry again. I know he has suffered some serious health problems in the past and it warms my heart to see him again. 

Honored Contributor

It's pretty good for a Fox production.  Fun!

Honored Contributor

I really enjoyed the overall visual impression I got from this show...the costumes, makeup and stage props where all pretty good imo. However!...Laverne gurrrrl you need to stay away from acting...and please, take some phonetics classes. It was very difficult to understand what you were sayin'.Woman Frustratedomganimated-smileys-rolleyes-08.gif

I loved seeing Tim Curry in this movie too. He was the "man" back then and no one will ever dupe him. Adam Lambert did a great-but-too-short job. Christina Milian...loved her laugh!

Honored Contributor

I loved the beginning.  The people in the theater, I thought that was super clever and great fun.  It took me right back to the great old days of going to the Mini Cine.  It was quick but I also loved the funeral weaving its way around Brad and Janet. 

And I loved "Time Warp."  That's going to be my happy place, that version, for the next few weeks.

I loved the people who played Columbia, Riff Raff, Brad & Janet. 

Laverne Cox had rare moments of greatness in a mostly blah performance.  Christina Millian didn't cut it for me and neither did Adam Lambert.  I thought they were the weakest links.  Rocky, while gorgeous, wasn't strong.  And Ben Vereen, a powerhouse talent, seemed out of place.

JMO, and looking forward to everyone's opinions and what the critics have to say. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tsukiko wrote:

I'm watching the show and it just makes me want to watch the original. I think this is one of those movies that is best left alone because any remakes will just pale in comparison. I love seeing Tim Curry again. I know he has suffered some serious health problems in the past and it warms my heart to see him again. 

There are many screenings of the movie  this year being it's the 40th anniversary. I think I have to see the original again too!

Trusted Contributor

Last year, BBC America showed a recorded version of the latest touring stage production of Rocky Horror, and it was better than the Broadway revival of 2001.  It was a special performance that had rotating Narrators including Stephen Fry, Emma Bunton (Spice Girls), Mel Giedroyc (The Great British Baking Show), Anthony Head, and Richard O'Brien himself (Writer, Original Riff Raff).  I checked the network's schedule, and unfortunately, it doesn't look like they'll be airing it again this year, but you can find it online if you're a fan of the show and want to see a good production of it.  Here's a pic from it:

Rocky Horror UK.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm going to the screening tonight in PA- with Barry Bostwick doing a Q & A !!!