Esteemed Contributor

Did anyone watch tonight's episode?  I made it until the boy was on the stand and had started testifying and my tv turned the channel because of the DVR so I missed those last minutes.  Did the boy get convicted?
TIA!!!

Honored Contributor

He was acquitted of rape and attempted rape and convicted of... some kind of sexual misconduct, I can't remember the exact term. 

Honored Contributor

I think it was misdemeanor sexual misconduct that he was convicted of.  He has to go on the registry.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I think it was misdemeanor sexual misconduct that he was convicted of.  He has to go on the registry.

Yes on the registry. I couldn't tell if it also meant jail time, but penalty phase is another trial, so maybe that didn't get mentioned at all. Based on what I've seen so far in real life, he'd probably get probation.

I think the show sent a good message. Clear communication is important and it's very difficult for young people to understand that, even more so if alcohol is involved. We talk a lot about saying no and no meaning no, but I think the message is that we need to teach people that yes means yes and if you don't hear a yes, then it's not okay to continue. The episode did a great job showing and explaining how many people in that situation do freeze and don't say no because they're too shocked at what's happening. The absence of a no is not the same as a yes and silence should NOT equal consent.

Honored Contributor

Yes @NickNack, she is correct!  I was just sickened at what he appeared to be in court, with his slick-back hair and "nerd" looking glasses, I despised his attorney!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Law & Order SVU

[ Edited ]

Yes, a good episode. Looked to be based on the recent trial in New Hampshire (?). That young man was convicted of rape if I recall and also looked "slicked down" on the witness seat. The young woman in the case had some of the same reactions and was also under age. Same "game" was played by the boy and his peers.

I agree, the SVU boy's lawyer was so appalling! What a good actor!

Candy

Honored Contributor

I will have to catch this one On Demand! It sounds like a very good episode...... 

Honored Contributor

Excellent episode, even at the very end the girl was shown walking out of the courtroom with ther parents and she was still calling to the boy, as if to apologize for what happened.

Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

Yes on the registry. I couldn't tell if it also meant jail time, but penalty phase is another trial, so maybe that didn't get mentioned at all. Based on what I've seen so far in real life, he'd probably get probation.

I think the show sent a good message. Clear communication is important and it's very difficult for young people to understand that, even more so if alcohol is involved. We talk a lot about saying no and no meaning no, but I think the message is that we need to teach people that yes means yes and if you don't hear a yes, then it's not okay to continue. The episode did a great job showing and explaining how many people in that situation do freeze and don't say no because they're too shocked at what's happening. The absence of a no is not the same as a yes and silence should NOT equal consent.

I have to agree the communication needs to go both ways.  The young actors did a very good job showing that they were both confused concerning if anyone was doing anything wrong or not (parents are the ones who ran with it).  While I agree that the absence of no is not the same as yes, for years boys (and girls) have been drilled with "no means no".  Clear communication comes with maturity.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you so much, all of you, for all of your replies.  I appreciate it so much!!  Very good show I thought and I was so bummed that I missed the ending.