Contributor

Re: Last night's Downtown Abbey -- spoilers possible

Yes...Yes...I was thinking the same thing...Barrow is so depressed.....to end it all would be his escape...as nothing good is in his future...feels nothing he does is right...I fear he may take his own life in desperation...

Respected Contributor

I wanted to post this in a more pertinent spot, but have not been able to sign in for some reason. Regarding Daisy, does anyone remember the Seinfeld episode where George was so upset about "worlds colliding"? His fiancée Susan was doing things with his friends and he was freaking out. I think this is what's going on with Daisy. It was much more entertaining with George Costanza, LOL.
Respected Contributor

I agree about Daisy, she's been a pain and I do feel sorry for Barrows, yes, he wasn't nice in the beginning but he has changed his ways.  The one question I have and I wonder if anyone would know that answer.  When they opened the house for charity and nobody knew anything about the history of the house, paintings, etc. was that typical for them not to know the history of the house and items?  I mean, if the house and the belongings were handed down through the generations of the family, I would think they would know the history. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:
I wanted to post this in a more pertinent spot, but have not been able to sign in for some reason. Regarding Daisy, does anyone remember the Seinfeld episode where George was so upset about "worlds colliding"? His fiancée Susan was doing things with his friends and he was freaking out. I think this is what's going on with Daisy. It was much more entertaining with George Costanza, LOL.

Yes, I remember that episode and knew exactly what he meant. 

Of course, that might be her issue, but, as you mentioned, it was funny with George, but not Daisy.  She's just become so shrill and annoying and intrusive.  I realize it is just a character, but I do wish they had not gone this direction with her.  I liked her better when she was silent!Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Hayfield wrote:

I agree about Daisy, she's been a pain and I do feel sorry for Barrows, yes, he wasn't nice in the beginning but he has changed his ways.  The one question I have and I wonder if anyone would know that answer.  When they opened the house for charity and nobody knew anything about the history of the house, paintings, etc. was that typical for them not to know the history of the house and items?  I mean, if the house and the belongings were handed down through the generations of the family, I would think they would know the history. 

That's a good question.  I am hoping that what was portrayed was exaggerated, but who knows.  Perhaps they just enjoyed "having it all" but knowing nothing about it!

Honored Contributor

seems like somebody said 3 episodes left . Due to end last of Feb.

I think Daisy wants the old man for herself. LOL If he marries she will be out of the inheritance too. she wouldn't get the lions share, so, to speak.

Respected Contributor

First of all, I love Daisy. She's been Mr. Mason's advocate for a while, and probably is  feeling a bit territorial now, with others coming in. (But, of course, he and Mrs. Patmore have to get together!)

As for the history of the house, I'll bet that's how it really was. Families lived in those elegant castles without being really well-versed about the various backgrounds. (You could tell that Mr. Moseley knew, though, and wanted to speak.)

Barrows is my favorite character. He's gone through a lot of grief, and has taken it out on others. Nonetheless, I admire his spunk. If he kills himself, it will be devastating. (But now I think it will occur.)

Honored Contributor

@insomniac wrote:

First of all, I love Daisy. She's been Mr. Mason's advocate for a while, and probably is  feeling a bit territorial now, with others coming in. (But, of course, he and Mrs. Patmore have to get together!)

As for the history of the house, I'll bet that's how it really was. Families lived in those elegant castles without being really well-versed about the various backgrounds. (You could tell that Mr. Moseley knew, though, and wanted to speak.)

Barrows is my favorite character. He's gone through a lot of grief, and has taken it out on others. Nonetheless, I admire his spunk. If he kills himself, it will be devastating. (But now I think it will occur.)

OT:  Hoping that rehab is going well.  I had 2 total knee replacements about 8 years ago, so I can relate to the struggle.  Rehab is the key, just be sure to take pain medication an hour before your PT.  And stay warm my trivia pal. 

Esteemed Contributor

Remember Barrows is portrayed as a homosexual  and Mr. Carson I think is the only one of the servants to know.  It was very distasteful in those days, like women having a strong will, so that is another reason he hates him.  Also, why Barrows is so depressed.

Honored Contributor

I know that they are trying to wrap up with outcomes for every character .....  and I hope Mrs Hughes gets to the end of her rope and really tells her husband off.  

Carson needs to be knocked down a peg or two and realize that his wife shouldn't be spoken to like one of the servants!  That guy needs a smack!!   lol