Honored Contributor

Re: Kelly Ripa MIA during Michael's announcement

Unfortunately, it's how corporations do business these days.  

Current case in point, my coworker was just contacted by our HR about a potential move to another larger location.  She asked if they had informed her GM about being approached about leaving and they said no and were not going to.  

None of my business if she decided to tell him or not but reality is that if you're being approached about bigger and better things, most people, especially those with families to support, would not risk losing that promotion and/or bigger paycheck by not playing along with corporate.  

In the end, it's about you and your career which entails making the people who run the place and sign your paycheck  happy.  In most corporations, that's not your coworker sitting beside you and they will get over it because it's business not personal.  And if they have any foresight at all, you may eventually get into a position to lift them up to bigger and better things as well.    

It doesn't make it right but it is what's expected of most corporate employees these days.  I much prefer working for the private sector myself.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, another person weighs in .......  

Oprah sided with Kelly!  

Her bottom line is that no one should ever be blindsided .... and that Kelly is capable enough to do the show herself, if she wants.

Here's the link ........   

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/04/20/exclusive-oprah-winfrey-on-kelly-ripas-reaction-to-michael-str...

Honored Contributor

What was she famous for before being on this show? What is her talent?

Esteemed Contributor

There's an old expression in my culture, which I'll clean up. You can't dance at two weddings with one derrière. In other words, you can't be in two places at the same time. Michael Strahan attempted to dance at two weddings, Good Morning America and Live with Kelly. Actually he's dancing at three weddings if you count his insane weekend commute to the west coast for football coverage. To me, the way this played out was predictable but still quite unethical. Kelly has a right to be furious. I think Michael will pay for this ultimately.

Valued Contributor

Kelly played Adam's daughter in AMC.  She is a good actress and could probably work on any soap if she wanted to.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Never cared for Kelly Ripa.  And now she is acting like the self centered overpaid brat that she is.  These people make more money than most will in a lifetime.  They should rememer that, go with the flow and be grateful for the opportunities and money they have made.

@Puppy Lips

Talk show hosts have a wide salary range, and the good ones definitely affect their network's profitability, and should be compensated accordingly.  

As for her "making more than most will make in a lifetime" .... you can say that about a LOT of jobs in many different industries.  

Television is a very fickle medium, and hosting a show isn't nearly as easy as it looks.  The hosts that get Emmys and good ratings SHOULD get a good salary, as their network is making a ton of money off these people.   In some ways, it's the same as sales .... the sales people who sell a lot SHOULD get more commissions ... that's not unreasonable.

I did not say that she should not be paid well.  In fact I think they should be paid well if they are making a lot of money for the station.  However, for her to throw a tizzy fit and pout is totally unprofessional in my opinion, and then I think she is in fact overpaid.  What is that saying about "swimming with the sharks" ???

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden

She didn't just wander in off the street, if that's what you're implying ... she was on All My Children from 1990 to 2002 and the sitcom Hope and Faith from 2003 to 2006.    

She has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and has been a Host on LIVE for 15 years.

If you want more info on her accomplishments, google her.

Esteemed Contributor

Kelly has been very lucky, she has always been in the right place at the right time.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

She was an actress on All My Chidren for several years. That's where she met her husband. The only thing that surprises me is that Michael Strahan didn't confide in her that there were negotiations. I thought Kelly and Michael were close friends. I'd be willing to bet that Gelman knew. 

Respected Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

She was an actress on All My Chidren for several years. That's where she met her husband. The only thing that surprises me is that Michael Strahan didn't confide in her that there were negotiations. I thought Kelly and Michael were close friends. I'd be willing to bet that Gelman knew. 

I read the person doing the promotion disliked Gelman and gained pleasure sticking it to him.  It had nothing to do with Kelly.  Had she been told and did not tell Gelman, he would have made her life miserable.