Honored Contributor

Re: Kelly Ripa And Michael Strahan No Longer Friends

@Brooklynny wrote:

I'll bet my next paycheck that this whole situation was entirely internal corporate politics among the ABC powers that be, and Michael Strahan was caught in the middle.  After all, he's only the on-air talent and has little, if any, power in corporate decisions.  

He was presented with an opportunity and was probably told to keep mum about it regardless of any perceived friendship between him and Kelly.  If that was the case, he was obligated not to say anything to anyone, even a "friend,"  or the entire proposition would have fallen apart.  Business is business; it's not personal -- no matter how much it may hurt your feelings.  

He would have been a fool to pass up such an offer if he thought it would be a good career step for him.  It's about his future, not Kelly's.  She'll get another co-host, will still make millions of dollars, and life will go on.  By the way, I am not a fan of the show and don't watch it, but I am aware of what's going on.

You said this perfectly. Business is Business....When you really stop and think about it, Michael was caught between a rock and a hard place. He probably wanted to forewarn Kelly if he was her friend, which I think they were, but he would be hurting his own career, and who on these boards would do that if you were in his shoes? It is easy to say, he could have pulled her aside and told her confidentially, really? I work for a Fortune 500 Company and have worked for it for many years, and believe me when told it's confidential, you better believe it is, or it could be you out the door.....I don't blame him for not saying anything to her-it was his career on the line and you have to watch out for yourself, who else is going to?Hopefully they talked after all of this happened and he explained that all to her...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

First, the impact on my life is is so minimal as to be less than non existent.

Second, I loved Michael with Kelly, far FAR less as part of the GMA herd.

There are "work friends" and "life friends". K & M had great chemistry, so far, at GMA, I'm not seeing it.

Kelly, on the other hand, rolls along with whomever is next to her. I think she's a sharp, funny, bright woman and although I rarely have the time to watch ANY MORNING SHOW, I enjoy that show when I watch. I don't care too much who's in the other chair.

Trusted Contributor

I am shocked if he really thought they were friends? 

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

I think there were hurt feelings because Kelly really pushed for Michael to get the co-host job next to her.  Next thing you know, he's moving on with no warning to her.  He could have told her; she wouldn't have told anyone IMO.  That's what friends do.

Honored Contributor

When it comes to the workplace, people use the word "friends" much too loosely ......  a better word would be acquaintances.

There are a lot of people we work with over our careers, but not everyone is a friend.   I think the real acid test is, if this person is really a friend, you see them outside of work regularly.   

I think Michael and Kelly were co-workers and well-acquainted, but they weren't "friends"!

Honored Contributor

I think Michael and Kelly were kind of friends. I believe Kelly and Mark sometimes went out to dinner with Michael and Nicole (his fiancée at the time).

Esteemed Contributor

@Cioci Carol wrote:

He did the right thing leaving.... she's getting too full of herself.  Enough with the dancing and start eating she looks emaciated.   I really try not to watch the show.

@Cioci Carol wrote:

He did the right thing leaving.... she's getting too full of herself.  Enough with the dancing and start eating she looks emaciated.   I really try not to watch the show.

Ita..never was a fan of hers..she's become  diva..IMO~

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

I've read they were never social friends.  They barely conversed other than on air. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

When Kelly brought in various hosts, it was clear that Michael was a great sidekick. However, he became involved with countless other opportunities and basically dropped the Kelly & Michael show. I think Kelly was treated quite badly, since she was not informed of the changes that occurred. I think she will come out of it OK, especially since she was promoted to some sort of producer status. 

No one is disputing his taking advantage of a job opportunity. He's a football player who was given a job on Live that others in show biz would have liked to have.  They should have given a brand new face a chance. Instead of at least showing some loyalty to those he worked with and giving them a heads up, he let Kelly and Gehlman find it out second hand with no clue anything was going on. That's small and petty. From only the buzz around the entertainment business, Kelly is well liked by pretty much everyone who works with her and who does guest spots with her. I think she's moved on and won't look back at Michael Strahan. He could have taken the high road in the interview and refused to talk about it, but he didn't.  He has to live with the decisions he has made and the friends he has lost. At least she gets something out of the whole debacle: producer status. It's been pointed out that she did the same thing with AMC. Not exactly. Soap stars come and go, but none of them have the show named after them. There was no Kelly in the title All My Children, and she wasn't one of the principal characters.

My suggestion is that they retitle the show Kelly and Company, and not have a permanent co host. It's more interesting watching her interact with a variety of co hosts. That way things are kept fresh.

Valued Contributor

@RainCityWoman, "petty and small?"   No, no, no, no, no.  As @CANDLEQUEEN responded to my earlier post, if you work in corporate America, and you are told to keep something in confidence, you are obligated and bound to tell NO ONE.  That's how business works.  

I've worked in corporate environments for 40+ years.  There were several times when I knew that someone was going to lose their job.  Many times, they were people I was fond of and got along with very well.  It was CONFIDENTIAL.  I was not permitted to say anything to anyone, including the employee being let go.  Had I dared say anything, I would have been shown the door before they were.  

There are rules in business.  I don't care if Kelly and Michael were friends or not.  So-called friendships have nothing to do with anything in business.  She should know better, and maybe someone should give her a primer on Human Resources policy.  Any matter, and I mean ANY, involving Human Resource issues of any kind are OFF THE TABLE for discussion.  No two ways about it.