Honored Contributor

Re: Janis Joplin Documentary

Chessylady wrote:

For those talking about Tivo, it's called hijacking a thread.

You are right, and it's 100% MY fault.   I apologize.  

Honored Contributor

I watched a documentary years ago on her life, pretty interesting until she lost herself in drugs and booze, and I read a book which said that she was intoxicated, fell off the bed in a hotel/motel, hit her head on the end table, and died.

Honored Contributor

I saw her live at a junior college in the SF Bay Area back in '67 or '68 when when she was with Big Brother and the Holding Company.

I was not knowledgeable enough back then to realize what I was seeing.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

I remember a friend calling my dorm saying you have to listen the greatest song ever! He had just bought Big Brother album- 1968 and played Piece of my Heart over the phone. So funny that I can remember it as tho it was yesterday. I immediately went down to the record shop & bought the album. It either had a poster of Janis enclosed or I bought one there. Either way it hung on my dorm wall. Wish I still had it to pass it along. 

The documentary "Janis" is on iTunes / Apple TV. 

Trusted Contributor

She was phenomenal! I saw her twice at the Newport Folk Festival, late 60"s. First time wih Big Brother and the Holding Company...the size of their amplifiers was the talk of the festival, like refrigerators.....she made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, she was such a strong singer. She did the Monterey pop songs.

The second time, a year later, she had her own backup band and was a big star. She still made me feel electric. She came out on the stage in a black cape and twirled all over the stage as the band played a heavy riff, as she twirled it was clear that the dress beneath the cape was LOW cut, she was beautiful. She shook and shimmied for the front row which contained a very dignified US senator,,,,,,the crowd went crazy!! 

What a talent! We were lucky to have her even for such a short time.

Candy

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting this, I've set it to record. I saw Janis and Jimmy at the Fillmore in San Francisco in the same show in the late 60s. Memorable!

@GingerPeach, would you have been talking about Chabot College?

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

Ahhhhh.....The 27 Club.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

Ahhhhh.....The 27 Club.

Way too many good members in that club...DW

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

Thanks for posting this, I've set it to record. I saw Janis and Jimmy at the Fillmore in San Francisco in the same show in the late 60s. Memorable!

@GingerPeach, would you have been talking about Chabot College?

Hi @MaggieMack

No, College of Marin.  Although I checked online to see if that location was included in places where Big Brother and Janis performed back then, and it wasn't there.  So either it didn't get listed, or I may have been in San Francisco to see the band.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.