Esteemed Contributor

James Best, Sherriff Roscoe P. Coltrain of Dukes of Hazard, passed away at age 88

He died of complications related to pneumonia. He was born in Kentucky and within the past year still performed in community theatre in Hickory, North Carolina. Oh, how I used to look forward to Friday nights with the characters of Hazard County! May he rest in peace.
Honored Contributor

Re: James Best, Sherriff Roscoe P. Coltrain of Dukes of Hazard, passed away at age 88

When my oldest daughter was growing up, she loved the Dukes. She had a poster of the General Lee in her room (that and many other posters). I can hear the theme song now...."Just a good ole boy".......

Esteemed Contributor

Re: James Best, Sherriff Roscoe P. Coltrain of Dukes of Hazard, passed away at age 88

I had a General Lee poster too. Smiley Happy I had forgotten all about that! Love the theme song! I can still see Roscoe with his bloodhound, Flash, and hear hm lecturing his deputy, Enos.
Valued Contributor

I used to watch the Dukes and thought Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane was a hoot. Loved that giggle when he thought he had finally outsmarted those Duke boys :-)
Valued Contributor

James Best was also the father-in-law of Michael Damian who played Danny Romalotti on Y&R.

Regular Contributor

I grew up watching the show. I always liked how he'd say is name I'm. Roscoe P Coltrane Kind of slow, but strong ,always had his moment to announce himself . What a great actor.