Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone watching Victoria on PBS?

[ Edited ]

@cherry

Is it Pledge Week AGAIN?  I'm currently watching the Downton Abbey retrospective for the 5th or 6th time, waiting for the NBC 90th Anniversary to come on in half an hour.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  I don't know.

I think I will like the Dark Angel series, they briefly show ,after Victoria.  The ladies maid from Downton Abbey, is in it, and she is a wonderful ,and gifted actress.

Honored Contributor

I watched it in the beginning and, because I found M so smarmy, I stopped. Tonight, I gave it another chance since M is gone and liked

it. I like Albert, his mouth is perfection, and I like Victoria. Now I'm going to have to watch the previous one or two on Demand.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Moonchilde  I don't know.

I think I will like the Dark Angel series, they briefly show ,after Victoria.  The ladies maid from Downton Abbey, is in it, and she is a wonderful ,and gifted actress.

I have a fun DA story. I had a co-worker who was a huge fan. I had heard that Cost Plus was having a huge DA tea promotion at a Cost Plus in a popular, posh-ish shopping area one weekend and mentioned it to her. She went, and it just so happened that the actress who played the cook, Mrs. Patmore, was there. So my co-worker bought lots of things and had a lovely long chat with her; said she was very nice.

Honored Contributor

@cherry, @Moonchilde, it's reruns next week because they don't want to go up against the Oscars.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Annabellethecat66, re young Victoria's appearance - we don't have photos of a young Victoria, only drawings and portraits, but even in those the Hanoverian round face and pronounced nose are evident.  If you look at portraits and drawings of all the Hanoverian Georges, they were corpulent (fat), with bulgy eyes (which Victoria inherited), large noses and big lips. Her photographs, starting in middle age, look exactly like her family.  So yeah - poetic license with the casting. I don't think people would have tuned in to the series if they hadn't done that.

People saying/expecting the series to go on for years - IF that turns out to be true (??) they will surely have to get a more Hanoverian-appearing actress once Victoria turns 35-ish.

There are six seasons planned.  I read that Jenna-Louise Coleman will be replaced, possibly as soon as the third season, by an older, obese actress.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@cherry, @Moonchilde, it's reruns next week because they don't want to go up against the Oscars.

I won't be watching the Oscars ,for sure

Honored Contributor

@cherry, I didn't ask, I was just stating a fact, and I hope the I'm-not-watching-the-Oscars discussions don't spill over into our Victoria thread.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

I won't be watching the Oscars ,for sure

The only interest I have in the Oscars is the dresses, and I can watch the pre-Oscar red carpet for that.

Honored Contributor

I also hearted @Moonchilde post @LoriLori  you are both right

I thought you were touting the Oscars, thats why I made the remark to begin with