Esteemed Contributor

Re: I will be so sad to see Big Little Lies End!!!!!

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Maybe I skrewed up even more.  I thought that Ziggy's mother (sorry, can't remember name) was raped and that was how he was conceived.  

Sorry if I messed that up.  *sigh*   

That is what she is saying!!!!!!!

No need to get excited, lol. I'm just asking because in the book Jane was not raped nor did she say she was raped. 

Jane met a man who took her to a room where she was looking forward to an intimate night of love making. The man suggested some sex play she wasn't comfortable with and he became rude and insulting toward her. Regardless, they had sex and Jane left afterward...either the next morning or that same night. I can't exactly remember how long she stayed. 

She knew the man's name, and when Ziggy's class was doing a project for a family tree, Jane told Madeline. Later Madeline told Celeste. There was never any talk in the book about rape which is why I asked. Apparently the series is not following the book 100 percent. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, hmmm.  Thanks for the book info.  

I think it's seldom that a show or movie stays 100% with the book so I wonder if maybe they felt the need to bump up that experience and turn it into rape - just for drama sake.  Smiley Happy  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

Oh, hmmm.  Thanks for the book info.  

I think it's seldom that a show or movie stays 100% with the book so I wonder if maybe they felt the need to bump up that experience and turn it into rape - just for drama sake.  Smiley Happy  

You're welcome @chickenbutt, it's very interesting to me. I looked on the Wikipedia site and it does say Jane was raped. I think I would remember that! What I recall is that she went ahead and had sex with him and felt remorseful afterward because of the way he had treated her. I remember it down to the fact that she was embarrassed about the way she said "Bye" to him when she left. She said she sounded like a cow. 

I can't go any further into what else Wiki says that doesn't seem to hold true to the book because that would be a spoiler and I don't want to ruin anything for anyone. 

Good news is you didn't hear it wrong on TV. Apparently they're saying Jane was raped. I'm going to put something else in a spoiler about Jane. For anyone following the show you may not want to read it because it might be too much of a clue. I don't know...just being safe.

Spoiler
As far as the book and Ziggy's father, Jane was infatuated with him even after their encounter. It's the very reason she moved to her new location. She was hoping she would run into him and he would remember her. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks!  Also, thanks for not spoiling anything that hasn't happened yet on the show.   I didn't open your spoiler-tag in case.    I appreciate it when people play by the rules as far as spoiling shows.  Smiley Happy   You don't always see that here.

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2, my friend, you're misremembering.  In the book Jane was raped, Ziggy was a product of that and that's all I can say without spoilers.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt, can't touch your comments without spoilers.

@5pugmom, in case you're interested I started a thread for people's guesses.  Hasn't seen a lot of action LOL.  I read the book and know all but I thought it would be fun to see what people think.

@SusieQ_2, this is another one of those times I wish the forum techs would have private messaging up and running!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @LoriLori, I was hoping you'd chime in. Not to tell me I'm wrong (lol), but because I know you read the book too. 

There are some questions I have, but like you, I can't say what they are for fear of spoiling things. I'll just go ahead and take your word.

Still, I remember nothing of Ziggy being a product of rape. As I said, I remember the part about Jane having sex and her reaction down to the way she said "Bye" when she left the hotel room. Oh well, I think I'll get the book again so I can go over it and see what I missed. This leaves me baffled! 

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2, go to Wikipedia and select the book version of Big Little Lies, it's all there except one thing I would have said more clearly than they do. 

I know it's there because my dear friend @Annabellethecat66 couldn't take not knowing anymore and asked me to spoil it for her.  I couldn't bear to so I read the description and sent her over there (passively spoiling it LOL).

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Maybe I skrewed up even more.  I thought that Ziggy's mother (sorry, can't remember name) was raped and that was how he was conceived.  

Sorry if I messed that up.  *sigh*   

That is what she is saying!!!!!!!

No need to get excited, lol. I'm just asking because in the book Jane was not raped nor did she say she was raped. 

Jane met a man who took her to a room where she was looking forward to an intimate night of love making. The man suggested some sex play she wasn't comfortable with and he became rude and insulting toward her. Regardless, they had sex and Jane left afterward...either the next morning or that same night. I can't exactly remember how long she stayed. 

She knew the man's name, and when Ziggy's class was doing a project for a family tree, Jane told Madeline. Later Madeline told Celeste. There was never any talk in the book about rape which is why I asked. Apparently the series is not following the book 100 percent. 

Sorry it looked as if I was excited, but truly I wasn't......Sorry about that.

Honored Contributor

FYI every one of her other books has been optioned and they're at different stages of development. 

The same team that did "Big Little Lies" (including Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon) is bringing "Truly Madly Guilty" to HBO.  I haven't read it yet..