Honored Contributor

I watched the strangest Lucy show last night

It was real, I wasn't dreaming (I checked a few times LOL).

It was her and Vivian, it was from 1962, it was a Christmas show.  It aired on one of the retro channels.  

They both were not married but they each had kids.  Not Ethel, but Vivian (the actress's name, how odd?!?).  Vivian had the cutest little blonde boy and Lucy had a teenage daughter (who resembled Kiernan Shipka, causing me to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming) and an annoying little boy.

And here's the thing:  It wasn't funny.  My heart breaks!  And Vivian Vance was acting all kinds of weird.  

Respected Contributor

Re: I watched the strangest Lucy show last night

I love the old Lucy shows - but I think I missed that one! 

Honored Contributor

I remember that show where they are both single moms. Can't say I recall the reason why - are they both widowed or divorced - can't recall. It seems they were always looking for schemes to make money. And it was never as funny as she was on I love Lucy. I think Desi Arnez wrote I love Lucy and really used her ability to do slapstick.

Respected Contributor

That was "The Lucy Show" not "I Love Lucy"  In it, Lucy is a widow with 2 kids and Vivian Vance played Vivan Bagley her divorced friend.  I think it ran about 4 years?

Respected Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

That was "The Lucy Show" not "I Love Lucy"  In it, Lucy is a widow with 2 kids and Vivian Vance played Vivan Bagley her divorced friend.  I think it ran about 4 years?

I think you are right - I watched everything Lucy! 

Honored Contributor

you were watching THE LUCY SHOW, which ran for six seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lucy_Show

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

That series was called The Lucy Show, she was a widow, and Viv was a divorcee, Lucy had a son and daughter, Viv had a son, and they alll lived together to share expenses. . After that series ended, she did one called Here's Lucy, also with Viv and Lucy's real life teenaged kids played her kids on the show.

Honored Contributor

I loved Lucy Ricardo-none other. I tried, but it didn't work.

Super Contributor

I remember watching this show.  There was another Lucy show where she worked at the bank, but I believe it ran after I Love Lucy.  

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

you were watching THE LUCY SHOW, which ran for six seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lucy_Show

Yup, that's them!  Thanks!  It was a Christmas special.  It was so not funny.  Vivian and Lucy ended up cutting up each other's Christmas trees, breaking each other's ornaments.  So not funny.  When they did it on I Love Lucy with the dresses it was hilarious.

Also Vivian Vance kept making really weird faces like she wanted to be sure every person watching knew she wasn't Ethel, she could act and she could play two different characters.  It made me wish (again, I've wished this often) that Bea Benederet had no turned down the part of Ethel!!!

So those who watched it back in the day, was it funny to you?  Sometimes things just don't travel well forward in time.  Because I did not laugh once and there were outright annoying things like watching heirloom Christmas balls get smashed.  Ho ho ho!