Respected Contributor

Re: I've Never Hit Anyone In My Life, But

I see the one with Joe Nameth quite a bit.   I sit on the sofa and follow Joe's hand gestures and call it "Chair aerobics with Joe"

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  That's how I feel about one of the hosts here who also wears oversized glasses.   Drives me nuts.

Honored Contributor

I love my "mute" button.  Have it handy when watching certain shows.  Otherwise it drives me crazy too.  I have this primal scream that comes from somewhere within myself that would scare my dog on a few of the ones now.

That too, is why I'm into movies that don't have commercials.  Wonder why instead of bashing their opponents, these geniuses don't tell us what their solutions and plans are to remedy certain situations.  Stop bashing and get us solutions!!!  Geeez.

Trusted Contributor

Thankfully there is a MUTE button on my remote!

Respected Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

"Martha" is a horrible stereotype of an older woman. A mean harpy of an old woman.  And stupid to boot.  These Advantage companies and their third stringer salesman make me sick. I guess that's what they think we are. 

The woman who plays "Martha" is only 55! 

Respected Contributor

I have seen the Martha Medicare commercial several times by now.  

I have read all the posts on this so far.  However, rather than want to scream or run for the remote as I have in past years with Joe Nameth and others, I actual smile / laugh at the Martha one.....I am 78.  The glasses are a hoot too !

The less said about the political ads, the better.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Martha doesn't hold a candle in irritation value to the constant repetitive, exagerated, lying political ads, one after another.  One will tell us a candidate walks on water while one immediate following will say the same person is a total scumbag.  No wonder we spend all day watch food on QVC.... no ads.

Sadly, people prefer to believe a 10 second sound bite instead of spending a minute or two looking up facts on non-partisan sites.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Meowingkitty   There is one about life insurance, the wife asked if they have life insurace and gets huffy when he says he is looking for an afforable one.

#1, she had to ask if they had it?  Did they just get married an hour ago?  How do you not know?

#2, is your dialing finger broken, your a grown woman, call herself.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   YES!  What irritates me the most about that one is it puts the "little wife" in the old role of clueless and depending upon her husband.

So if he dropped dead next week, she would have no clue what to do.

Seriously.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@candyagain wrote:

My worst ad is the "But John WE have life insurance, don't we?" She doesn't know, he hasn't taken steps to get it??!!  Boggles the mind.

And would you recognize the $9.95 guy if you saw him on the street?  Woman Very Happy

@candyagain   The $9.95 plan/month gives almost less than $2000 in death benefit depending upon age and gender.  The benefit also decreases with age. 

The plan charges based on units of insurance from what I've seen.

And yes, the other one for Select Quote-the old stigma of the clueless wife not knowing about life insurance, depending upon an equally cluless husband.  They are not spring chickens, either.  Who goes on in life without that benefit???

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never seen Martha's commercial, so I looked it up on youtube. Medicare has many other commercials, but maybe Martha isn't shown in my area. 

She is annoying, but the unseen guy who talks to her is just as bad. He seems very condescending.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain