Honored Contributor

I Can't Believe Some Of What I See On TV These Days!

Look!  I'm definitely easy!  Just as people who know me.  

I just can't believe some of the stuff they show on TV these days!  It used to be you only saw some of this stuff on cable.

I realize right now it's 10:00PM and kids are asleep (hopefully), but I just don't see a need for it.

They don't leave anything to the imagination anymore.  They show things and then wonder why there are more crimes (you know what I mean) don't want it to get dropped.  

I'm just saying, how many of you remember when Lucy and Desi couldn't even sleep in the same beds together?  Now we have people totally undressing each other and on and on.

I think they should just keep it on cable.  There are people who don't have cable for that reason.  My daughter doesn't have cable because they don't watch a lot of TV.  We didn't have cable until after my husband died.  My daughters were long gone and I was living alone.

I don't know, maybe it's just because I'm getting old(er),,,,,,but I don't think that's it.  There is a time and a place for everything.  In my opinion it's not all on regular TV.  Just sayin'.

Trusted Contributor

Re: I Can't Believe Some Of What I See On TV These Days!

This seems far-fetched at best.  Nudity on television has been common in other countries for decades (such as most European countries), and crime rates are actually lower there.  The only objection I see has more to do with our Puritanical history rather than any actual negaive impact on society.

Ultimately, though, we have the power to turn off the television ourselves, and I prefer this option rather than have others decide what I should or should not be watching.

Valued Contributor

I always wonder what kind of pervs want to watch somebody else doing those things.  I think that's really strange.

Then there's the so called comedy these days.  Half the time it sounds like

they're about 10 years old, when they're just discovering things.  Some of the shows can be hilarious without the crude things.  They just don't know what true comedy is now.

Trusted Contributor

Funny you should bring this up.  My mom was just telling me the other day about a commercial for some new sitcom.  The daughter (about 10 years old) asked where babies come from.  Apparantly the mother gave details they didn't dare teach us in Catholic school, lol!  I don't think it's an age thing, either.  I was born in 1972 so I don't consider myself ancient as of yet but come on!  I enjoy the older comedies as well ~ I Love Lucy, Jack Benny and so on.  :-) 

Esteemed Contributor

Annabelle: I saw the "original" I Love Lucy shows. Not only couldn't they (married at the time) sleep in the same bed ---- when Lucy was pregnant with Desi, Jr. (called Little Ricky on the show) - they couldn't use the word "pregnant". In one episode, Desi sang the song, "You're Having My Baby" so the audience knew she was pregnant.

Honored Contributor

What do you define as "cable"?  Do you mean HBO and Showtime and the like?  Or "cable" that uses advertising like USA, or TNT, and so on?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

All shows have a rating at the beginning of each episode, so there should be NO surprises, regardless of your viewing tastes.

I think you just have to aim for the middle ground ..... I find the "pretense of purity" with the Duggar shows to be just as disturbing.

Honored Contributor

??? This isn't the '50's any more and some of us have no need to revist them.

Honored Contributor

Give me s*x over the extreme violence portrayed everywhere today (not to mention middle school and high school beat-em-ups in real life, video'd and put on Youtube for lolz by the kids, for bragging rights).

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Occasional Contributor

I happen to agree with you, Annabelle.  I also agree with the Dowager Duchess on "Downton Abbey" when she said something like "Vulgarity is never a substitute for wit."

So many "comedies" these days use foul language and sex.  I suppose because some adolescents might think those things are funny, the movie people think it's necessary to have it to get those tickets sold.  I really like Melissa McCarthy, but I couldn't watch "Spy"

because of the language.  I turned it off.  Other people might think differently, but I think that movie could probably have been successful without all that--if you have good writing and good acting,  

I also miss some ot the old shows.  Bob Newhart, Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, etc., are

still enjoyable today (to me, at least).  When my children were small, we watched Mr. Rogers, in addition to other kids' shows.  I know people have made fun of him (myself included---BEFORE I had children).  I found myself admiring him, which was a bit scary when I realized I had changed my views of him so radically.  If you get a chance,google him when he's receiving an award from (I think) the Television Arts and Sciences--or something like that. He was so gracious and made a short little speech about the responsibility of people in the TV (and movie) industry.  It was amazing and had much of the audience in tears.  I miss him.