Honored Contributor

GRAMMY News: “Stayin’ Alive: A Grammy Salute to the Music of the Bee Gees”

[ Edited ]

1.  I feel old.

2.  I haven't watched the Grammys in years because I don't know who anyone is.  LOL 

From the LA Times:

Disco lives.

John Legend, Ed Sheeran, Andra Day, Celine Dion and other pop, R&B, rock and country stars will pay homage to the Bee Gees and the Australian group’s blockbuster 1977 soundtrack album “Saturday Night Fever” in an all-star Grammy Awards-related salute from the Recording Academy, CBS and AEG Ehrlich Ventures.

“Stayin’ Alive: A Grammy Salute to the Music of the Bee Gees,” marking the 40th anniversary of the album that spent 24 weeks atop the Billboard sales chart in 1977-78, also will feature Keith Urban, Tori Kelly, Pentatonix, DNCE, Little Big Town, Demi Lovato and others.

The modern-day stars will be joined by Bee Gees founding member Barry Gibb during a Feb. 14 concert at the Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles and recorded for broadcast later this year. Maurice Gibb died in 2003 and Robin Gibb in 2012.

Describing the “Saturday Night Fever” soundtrack as “an emblem of 1970s pop culture,” Recording Academy President Neil Portnow also said in a statement, “With expert harmonies, undeniable groove and a personal charisma matching their on-stage persona, the iconic band of brothers defined not just a genre, but a generation.”

Longtime Grammy Awards telecast executive producer Ken Ehrlich told The Times on Wednesday, “They had a remarkable impact on several generations of music. Their harmonies certainly influenced generations to follow. I have always been a huge fan, and I’m really glad we’re going to be doing this.”

He said that while the music from “Saturday Night Fever,” album, which spawned hits including “Stayin’ Alive,” “How Deep Is Your Love” and “Night Fever,” will form one anchor of the show, performers will also delve into other facets of the group’s musical legacy, which dates to 1967 with the Bee Gees’ first U.S. hit, “New York Mining Disaster 1941.”

“Saturday Night Fever” collected an album of the year Grammy Award. The Recording Industry Assn. of America has certified sales of 15 million copies in the U.S. alone.

The salute follows in the recent tradition of spinoff specials featuring many of the artists who attend the Grammy Awards ceremony itself, as performers, presenters, nominees or audience members. Tickets for the concert will be available at www.axs.com.

The first such special was “The Beatles: The Night That Changed America” in 2014 on the 50th anniversary of the group’s watershed performance on “The Ed Sullivan Show.”

That was followed early in 2015 by “Stevie Wonder: Songs in the Key of Life” and then “Sinatra 100: An All-Star Grammy Concert” in December of that year. Unlike the Beatles and Wonder specials, which tied in with Grammy ceremonies both years, the Sinatra tribute was shot separately in Las Vegas.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: GRAMMY News: “Stayin’ Alive: A Grammy Salute to the Music of the Bee Gees”

I loved the BeeGees and find it so heartbreaking that three of them died so young.  Barry is the only one left.  I was in my hay day when disco was huge and I own "Saturday Night Fever," both the movie and the CD.  I also own all of the BeeGees earlier music before they took on disco. 

I have always wondered why disco was so looked down upon after its peak.  Disco nightclubs in NYC were so much fun.  I wasn't much of a dancer, but I loved watching it, and the women were beautiful and dressed so glamorously.  The "hustle" was beautiful to watch, especially in a group.  The stages were set high so everyone could see it all.  I'll always be happy I was part of it.  Great memories!!

The BeeGees were my second favorite group.  Only the Beatles (who were music geniuses) topped them, followed by the greatest single act singer of all, Stevie Wonder.

I loved all of the music of the 70s and 80s, and lost interest in the 90s when rap and all of that came on the scene.  Popular music hasn't been the same for me since.

I still listen to classical, some opera (mostly Puccini) and I am currently addicted to Bruno Mars and his dancers.  They are so fun to watch.  

I can't imagine a day going by when I don't listen to my music.  My girls always tell me they loved that there was always music playing in our house.

Are we going to be able to see this show?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

This could get me to watch the Grammy's again! Loved the BeeGees, and the disco era, loved going to the clubs and watching everyone.....Still love the 70's and 80's music!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree there were only three Bee Gees. Maurice and Robin  who were fraternal twins are deceased; Barry is the only one who is still alive. The third deceased brother is Andy Gibb, the youngest of the four brothers, who was a solo artist and never a part of the group that was the Bee Gees. Andy was the first to die of the four brothers.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

Bonus points if they can get John Travolta to dance. Smiley Very Happy
Honored Contributor

@Tique wrote:

@LilacTree there were only three Bee Gees. Maurice and Robin  who were fraternal twins are deceased; Barry is the only one who is still alive. The third deceased brother is Andy Gibb, the youngest of the four brothers, who was a solo artist and never a part of the group that was the Bee Gees. Andy was the first to die of the four brothers.

@Tique

I know that.  Thank you.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

My mom really liked them. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

I loved the BeeGees and find it so heartbreaking that three of them died so young.  Barry is the only one left.  I was in my hay day when disco was huge and I own "Saturday Night Fever," both the movie and the CD.  I also own all of the BeeGees earlier music before they took on disco. 

I have always wondered why disco was so looked down upon after its peak.  Disco nightclubs in NYC were so much fun.  I wasn't much of a dancer, but I loved watching it, and the women were beautiful and dressed so glamorously.  The "hustle" was beautiful to watch, especially in a group.  The stages were set high so everyone could see it all.  I'll always be happy I was part of it.  Great memories!!

The BeeGees were my second favorite group.  Only the Beatles (who were music geniuses) topped them, followed by the greatest single act singer of all, Stevie Wonder.

I loved all of the music of the 70s and 80s, and lost interest in the 90s when rap and all of that came on the scene.  Popular music hasn't been the same for me since.

I still listen to classical, some opera (mostly Puccini) and I am currently addicted to Bruno Mars and his dancers.  They are so fun to watch.  

I can't imagine a day going by when I don't listen to my music.  My girls always tell me they loved that there was always music playing in our house.

Are we going to be able to see this show?

I will admit I took dance lessons to learn the Hustle!  I loved disco music and loved to go out dancing several nights a week with my girlfriends.  I was living in DC in the 70s and our favorite place to go was a club called Silverbird, and if my memory is correct, it was on either K or L street around 19th or 20th street.   Many good times were had there!

Honored Contributor

Re: GRAMMY News: “Stayin’ Alive: A Grammy Salute to the Music of the Bee Gees” - Sunday April 16

Sunday, April 16, 2017 8-10pm Eastern CBS

The Recording Academy, AEG Ehrlich Ventures, and CBS celebrate the 40th anniversary of the landmark soundtrack to the film Saturday Night Fever with an all-star special— “Stayin’ Alive: A GRAMMY Salute To The Music Of The Bee Gees”—on Sunday, April 16 (8:00-10:00 PM, ET/ PT) on the CBS Television Network.

GRAMMY® nominee Kelsea Ballerini, GRAMMY nominee Andra Day, singer/songwriter Jason Derulo, five-time GRAMMY winner Celine Dion , multi-platinum pop-funk band DNCE, GRAMMY nominee Nick Jonas, GRAMMY nominee Tori Kelly, 10-time GRAMMY winner John Legend, GRAMMY nominee Demi Lovato, two-time GRAMMY winners Little Big Town, three-time GRAMMY winners Pentatonix, GRAMMY nominee Thomas Rhett, GRAMMY winner Tavares, four-time GRAMMY winner Keith Urban, and 25-time GRAMMY winner Stevie Wonder pay tribute to five-time GRAMMY winners and Recording Academy Lifetime Achievement Award recipients the Bee Gees. Seven-time GRAMMY winner and Bee Gees co-founder Barry Gibb performs a selection of hits from Saturday Night Fever—Soundtrack, which won Album Of The Year at the 21st Annual GRAMMY Awards and was inducted into the GRAMMY Hall Of Fame® in 2004. The memorable tribute special also features appearances by Cynthia Erivo, John Travolta, and Wilmer Valderrama.

Following is the list of performances included in “Stayin’ Alive: A GRAMMY Salute To The Music Of The Bee Gees”:

Medley: “Stayin’ Alive,” “Tragedy” “How Deep Is Your Love,” “Night Fever”—Demi Lovato, Tori Kelly, Little Big Town, Andra Day
“To Love Somebody”—Keith Urban
“Massachusetts”—Ed Sheeran
“Lonely Days”—Panic! At The Disco
“Tragedy”— Tori Kelly
“How Can You Mend A Broken Heart”—John Legend & Stevie Wonder
“Islands In The Stream”—Kelsea Ballerini & Thomas Rhett
“Immortality”—Celine Dion
“Night Fever”—DNCE
“If I Can’t Have You”—Demi Lovato
“More Than A Woman”—Jason Derulo & Tavares
“How Deep Is Your Love”—Little Big Town
“Love So Right”— Andra Day
“I Just Want To Be Your Everything”—Nick Jonas
“Too Much Heaven”—Pentatonix
“Emotion”—Katharine McPhee
“Jive Talkin'”—Barry Gibb
“You Should Be Dancing”—Barry Gibb
“Stayin’ Alive”—Barry Gibb & Ensemble

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:
Bonus points if they can get John Travolta to dance. Smiley Very Happy

The Bee Gees and John Travolta dancing made this movie. They wanted to cut his dancing out but he fought it. If they got him to dance now it would have to be a waltz. Ha!