Esteemed Contributor

Re: Foxnews Gretchen Carlson Sues Roger Ailes Alleges Sexual Discrimination and Retaliation

@Melania- seriously, I launched a complaint of hostile workplace/harassment years ago against my former boss.  There are laws against retaliation in any form against witnesses or the person lodging the complaint.  This is very public and Ailes, if guilty or innocent, would not be stupid enough to do it.  The ladies at Fox stand alone on their qualifications  and the ladies that did speak up on behalf of Ailes could get a job on any network easily. Not only do they not fear being fired but none of them would work in a place where there was a suggestion of inpropriety and have stated so.   All are straight shooters and rather fearless.  BTW, my boss was gone in a year and an officer, high profile....I went on to a very successful 28 year career, obtained many degrees, one of which was a JD.  My boss went out disgraced and a loser.  I also handled employee conflict the last  years of employment and it is an untrue generalization that those guilty of s**ual harassment are all men....if Ailes is guilty, he should be penalized and will be....but, the system works, especially, with internal investigations when BOTH parties are scrutinized.  You don't wait to launch a complaint because you dread each day you go to work and you tire of watching your back....it's not easy to sue or launch a complaint but far harder to be harassed 

Respected Contributor

Re: Foxnews Gretchen Carlson Sues Roger Ailes Alleges Sexual Discrimination and Retaliation

Gretchen is trying to try this case in the court of public opinion......as far as I'm cocerned, this is a bad move and makes me doubt her claims......throw in the timing and it makes me doubt her even more.  I never had feelings one way or the other about her when she was on the air except her constant Miss America references, but I never thought she had the "chops" like Greta, Kimberly, Megyn, or a slew of others.  

Honored Contributor

@HULAGIRL wrote:

Gretchen is trying to try this case in the court of public opinion......as far as I'm cocerned, this is a bad move and makes me doubt her claims......throw in the timing and it makes me doubt her even more.  I never had feelings one way or the other about her when she was on the air except her constant Miss America references, but I never thought she had the "chops" like Greta, Kimberly, Megyn, or a slew of others.  

@HULAGIRL  I agree with your entire post, and agree that it's a bad move for her to speak out to try to win over the court of public opinion (and use social media which she has been doing).  When the suit was filed, she should shut up.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I totally expect her to turn up on other shows and then the topper.......a BOOK DEAL!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee- I disagree as well.  They would have just remained silent.  If GC's attorney served her well, she would just tell her to be quiet.  What people don't understand, is that internal investigations are more complete, honest and thorough of BOTH parties and confidentiality is guaranteed unlike GC's court of public opinion, leaks and here say.  Attorneys for Fox are working on the network's behalf and if there is credence to her complaints, Ailes becomes a liability and will be penalized by Murdoch, Inc. in addition to the rule of law.   Today, the laws are much tougher re harassment/HW and large companies have very experienced people doing these investigations, internally and external legal consultants who advise them; they are paid whether they rule with or against the Company and are quite neutral which makes them very good at what they do.  If I were GC, I would have worked internally and lodged complaints at the time the alleged remarks were made and if Ailes is guilty, maybe save her career too??  I just don't get working under constant duress, if true, rather than trying to correct the situation.   So she states "she is doing this for all women so they don't have to suffer as she has".  Sorry GC, that isn't advice I would give my daughter....just suffer in silence until you can use it if things don't go your way??? Honestly? Seriously?  My kid has more self respect and so did I when I lodged charges against my boss back in the 90s....if true, it's sad that she felt in this day and age, a supposedly savvy high profile newswoman that she has no power.....because today, it just isn't true....

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@Pearlee- I disagree as well.  They would have just remained silent.  If GC's attorney served her well, she would just tell her to be quiet.  What people don't understand, is that internal investigations are more complete, honest and thorough of BOTH parties and confidentiality is guaranteed unlike GC's court of public opinion, leaks and here say.  Attorneys for Fox are working on the network's behalf and if there is credence to her complaints, Ailes becomes a liability and will be penalized by Murdoch, Inc. in addition to the rule of law.   Today, the laws are much tougher re harassment/HW and large companies have very experienced people doing these investigations, internally and external legal consultants who advise them; they are paid whether they rule with or against the Company and are quite neutral which makes them very good at what they do.  If I were GC, I would have worked internally and lodged complaints at the time the alleged remarks were made and if Ailes is guilty, maybe save her career too??  I just don't get working under constant duress, if true, rather than trying to correct the situation.   So she states "she is doing this for all women so they don't have to suffer as she has".  Sorry GC, that isn't advice I would give my daughter....just suffer in silence until you can use it if things don't go your way??? Honestly? Seriously?  My kid has more self respect and so did I when I lodged charges against my boss back in the 90s....if true, it's sad that she felt in this day and age, a supposedly savvy high profile newswoman that she has no power.....because today, it just isn't true....

@Stray  Since you addressed me in your post above, I assure you that I am well aware of the legalities about sexual harrassment laws and investigations.  That's why I have been expressing the opinion that CG's attorney is not serving her well by letting her talk in an effort to put public opinioin on her side.  These things always come back later to haunt a party in a lawsuit (or a defendant in a criminal complaint) and her attorneys are not serving her well by letting her blab all over social media and to the press, unless of course she is simply ignoring their advice to keep quiet.

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@Melania- seriously, I launched a complaint of hostile workplace/harassment years ago against my former boss.  There are laws against retaliation in any form against witnesses or the person lodging the complaint.  This is very public and Ailes, if guilty or innocent, would not be stupid enough to do it.  The ladies at Fox stand alone on their qualifications  and the ladies that did speak up on behalf of Ailes could get a job on any network easily. Not only do they not fear being fired but none of them would work in a place where there was a suggestion of inpropriety and have stated so.   All are straight shooters and rather fearless.  BTW, my boss was gone in a year and an officer, high profile....I went on to a very successful 28 year career, obtained many degrees, one of which was a JD.  My boss went out disgraced and a loser.  I also handled employee conflict the last  years of employment and it is an untrue generalization that those guilty of s**ual harassment are all men....if Ailes is guilty, he should be penalized and will be....but, the system works, especially, with internal investigations when BOTH parties are scrutinized.  You don't wait to launch a complaint because you dread each day you go to work and you tire of watching your back....it's not easy to sue or launch a complaint but far harder to be harassed 

@Stray

Unfortunately, many harrassers are smart enough to do their harrassing with no witnesses present.     If these women speaking up for Ailes claim there was "no suggestion of impropriety" .... it only means they weren't aware of anything going on ... and not that it didn't happen.    A lot of harrassing goes on in secret.  

Honored Contributor

I find this statement by Greta Van S. in the People article link I posted above to be very credible:

"Van Susteren believes that sexual harassment claims would have traveled throughout the company.

'People come to me because I've been there so long," she says. "That's why this doesn't have any ring of truth to me. I would have heard it. People don't keep things silent.' "

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@Stray

Unfortunately, many harrassers are smart enough to do their harrassing with no witnesses present.     If these women speaking up for Ailes claim there was "no suggestion of impropriety" .... it only means they weren't aware of anything going on ... and not that it didn't happen.    A lot of harrassing goes on in secret.  

You are so right Tinkrbl!! It sure does!! I can attest to that. 

Honored Contributor

@Melania wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@Stray

You are so right Tinkrbl!! It sure does!!  I can attest to that. 

@Melania

I worked for a company many years ago that had some serious harrassing going on for a few years .... and no one knew a thing!    When it came out, we were all shocked that no one picked up on what was going on!    

I think this might be similar to domestic violence (or molestation within a family)  ... in that the victim has been known to not tell anyone, even as it escalates.