Honored Contributor

Forensic Files Is A TV Classic

This long-running series, which explores how true crime stories have been solved using forensic science, is a favorite of mine.  I think it used to be on TLC, but now is featured late at night (perhaps elevenish on to the wee hours?) on HLN.

For some odd reason, I find it tremendously soothing to listen to, and if I am having insomnia, it helps induce sleep.   Even though it is very interesting!

Am convinced its success is due in large part to narrator, the late Peter Thomas.  I had never heard of him before, but he had a WONDERFUL, distinctive voice, perfect for a show like this.  He is not overly-dramatic like some narrators, but his voice is compelling and exudes intelligence and discernment.

Apparently Mr. Thomas's father was Welsh (you probably already knew that, Noel7, ha) which could account for those mellifluous tones!

Respected Contributor

Re: Forensic Files Is A TV Classic

I really like it too.  It's actually on every night starting at 9PM (Eastern) and much earlier Saturday and Sunday -  in the afternoon.  I find the show rather disturbing though - it's amazing what people are capable of doing.  

Honored Contributor

I love forensic files too..I watch daily but I have seen most of them.I also like the id channel which has hour long programs..such as dateline etc.I like true crime stories although I have to admit that some of them scare the heck out of me but I keep watching..I know it's bad but I can't look away.I think I have learned how to stay a little safer in my day to day life because these shows have made me aware of what's out there.

Honored Contributor

I loved Peter Thomas!  Often I watch the show.  The one good thing about having lost my memory is that I can watch episodes that I've probably seen at least once and I don't remember anything.  Smiley Happy

But I agree that one of the main draws to the show was his voice and his inflection.

Some time back I watched an interview with him that was really amazing.  You really got to know him a great deal and admire him even more!  It's easily found online (that's where I saw it) and was from probably at leaast 10 years ago.

I think it was this month last year when he died.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't realize until just now that Peter passed away just last April. He was 91. I love his voice.

Two of the other shows where I enjoyed his voice were "Nature" and "Nova" on PBS.

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for adding interesting input to this topic.  chickenbutt, I will definitely have to search out that interview-- am glad to learn that he was as interesting as his voice has led us to believe!

Honored Contributor

He really was not only interesting but a really good guy.

He was married to his wife for decades until she died, not too many years before him IIRC.

He has a son who also does narration.

Esteemed Contributor

I think Forensic Files is the best crime drama show....it is on for a half hour which is what i think the story needs to be told....the hour shows on ID channel sometimes are just too long to get to the point.........and so manyof the crime shows repeat a minute or so when they get back from commericials..............Forensic Files just gets to the point

and facts....much more enjoyable....

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoy that show.  So very pleased we have folks who work forensics with all the modern day advances.  Crimes committed decades ago can be solved and the perpetrators brought to justice.  I admire those folks in the labs and the detectives as well. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Love Roses, I was just thinking that as well.  I am so impressed with all the real-life law enforcement people, and other crime experts from all over the country, who are featured in the show.  They seem smart, resourceful, and tenacious in tracking down those who transgress.  So grateful for the "thin blue line" that helps keep the underworld at bay.