Super Contributor

Florence Foster Jenkins- What a lovely film.

Ok  let me preface this by stating that I feel MERYL STREEP is the greatest actress I have ever seen. With that in mind, I went to see the film, thinking it would be a light farce, but ready to enjoy her performance.

I saw instead a lovely and warm story. She was great as usual,  but Hugh Grant ' s performance was fantastic.  So was the young actor who played her accompanist. 

Go and see it. I don't think  you will be disappointed. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Florence Foster Jenkins- What a lovely film.

The actor who plays her accompanist is Simon Helberg he has a weekly role on TV show The Big Bang Theory

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I saw that movie also.  I thought the accompanist stole the show!  His facial expressions were priceless.  

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the review, however can't see it since she called half of all Americans stupid recently.  Who does she think pays the overpriced tickets?

Respected Contributor

I thought that Hugh Grant did a spectacular job in carrying the movie.  If his part did not work, none of the movie worked.

Super Contributor

I have never watched the Big Bang Theory.  Sorry .

Honored Contributor

It is a lovely film. Meryl makes you feel so much sympathy for Florence. You laugh at her singing but you ultimately fall in love with her character and the story. I've always enjoyed Hugh Grant too. On a much lighter note, he definitely avoids Botox Woman Very Happy

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I KNOW I won't get seeing it in the movies and if I ever watch it at home I'll FF over parts of it.  It just isn't something I'd watch end to end.  I do think it looks funny.

Here's my question.  I'm wondering how it ends.  I mean everyone knew she couldn't sing well....except her.  But it doesn't seem like people were mean to her.

Can someone do a spoiler thing and just tell me how it ends, if her feeling get hurt or what happens.

Respected Contributor

As I've posted previously, I hated this movie. I felt too many people were making a fool out of her.

That is was based on a true story makes it even worse.

Esteemed Contributor

DH and I saw this movie today. I was surprised DH wanted to see this one to begin with. Well he loved the movie and kept talking about it afterwards!. I liked the movie but I would not say I loved it. Do not read my next paragraph, in case you don't want to know why (contains spoiler), Other than the below comments yes I liked the movie and the guy from Big Bang was excellent. I might add Im not a fan of Hugh Grant, but I thought he and Meryl did a great job. Now for my critic below :-)

I thought it was wrong (yes very wrong) to lie to her about her voice. (I hate lying and would rather hear the truth then be lied to so that bothered me). DH says well they loved her and didn't want her hurt. I said I dont care no one should lie, and if her husband loved her he wouldn't have had a girlfriend! (Yes I know why he had one but still).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles