Esteemed Contributor

Finally saw Joy - fun and entertaining

[ Edited ]

Watched the movie Joy last night (about Joy Mangano) and, if it's even half true, she was one tenacious woman!

What a whacky family she had!  She overcame all of that and more.  I liked how the story was told from her grandmother's perspective.

Not a big fan of her products, (although I have her hangersCat LOL) but it seems she worked hard to earn her place in the shopping channel world.

It was fun seeing QVC portrayed in the "early days" of shopping channels.

And, I think I may have bought one of this Miracle Mops at one time!

Respected Contributor

Re: Finally saw Joy - fun and entertaining

Tenacious and rich!  Her hard work paid off.  Love seeing women succeed.

Respected Contributor

I liked the movie too. Some thought it was overrated. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can't take watching her for more than a few minutes, but i do own her huggable hangers which I like.  Purchased her steamer many years ago, which is a "meh" for me.  You have to make a dozen passes in one area to (hopefully) see a crease start releasing...not a must have item Joy!  Over the holidays I purchased the Forever Fragrant odor eliminating warmer and vases...warmer works well, the vases and scent sticks are useless...a wrapper from a stick of gum gives off more fragrance than the useless vases with scent sticks...so far, the warmer has been working well.  IMO her luggage and handbags look especially cheap.

Trusted Contributor

It was better than I expected, I enjoyed it....I have lots of her hangers, and a few storage bags myself.

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Respected Contributor

I guess I'm in the minority. I thought it was boring and I was a little disappointed to see that she actually had quite a few breaks on the way up. I thought she was a complete "from nothing" success story. Not quite the case.  However, she truly deserves her success. Hard work and tenacity pay off. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PurpleBunny

Your comment is interesting in that I was very surprised she was given air time on QVC the first time around.  Just from the husband's previous connection it seems.

The character, played by Bradley C. seemed taken with her and the idea.   Wish they would have given a bit more back story on that aspect. 

Cannot imagine that happening many times in life.  If, as portrayed, she got a second chance, she was, indeed, lucky.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@PurpleBunny

Your comment is interesting in that I was very surprised she was given air time on QVC the first time around.  Just from the husband's previous connection it seems.

The character, played by Bradley C. seemed taken with her and the idea.   Wish they would have given a bit more back story on that aspect. 

Cannot imagine that happening many times in life.  If, as portrayed, she got a second chance, she was, indeed, lucky.

That's what I mean, connections. Also (if I can remember correctly) she had some connection at a manufacturer, a molding company or something. Both breaks the average person doesn't get. Not quite the rags to riches story I expected. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )