Esteemed Contributor

Re: Faberge - The Imperial Eggs

@beach-mom wrote:

@Dinaki and @Somertime - I agree with both of you about the Russian royal family. I didn't realize until reading here on the boards and doing my own research that POLITICS reared its ugly head back then too. Other relatives in England and other countries refused to grant them asylum when they could have gotten out early on. I was especially interested in how close Czar Nicholas and King George V were.

Anyway - Can you two or any other poster tell me if any of the Faberge eggs owned by the Russian royal family survived the revolution? 

I'll have to watch this documentary. 

@beach-mom , Yes, you are correct.  The Czar appealed to his cousin King George V for asylum in England.  He was turned down, because the king thought this would be a very unpopular decision.  How tragic and cowardly this decision was, with the entire family later killed. I did see an exhibit many years ago at the Met in NY. many years ago.  There were many small items smuggled out of Russia by wealthy people escaping the revolution.  I don’t specifically remember any of the eggs being there, but they may have been.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom Fifty or 52 Imperial Eggs were made and 46 have been located.  The three pictures I posted are Imperial Eggs.  Ten are in the Kremlin and the rest are in private collections.

Trusted Contributor

@beach-mom There we're 69 Faberge eggs created and 57 of them survived.

On 1917, an egg was created and never beenpresented to the Tsarina andit has never been finished. The name of the egg is called CONSTELLATION where is now displayed at Baden Baden museum of Faberge.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Respected Contributor

I am also fascinated with the beauty and craftsmanship of these glorious works of art.

Of course, royalty at that time spent as they wished and did not worry about the opinions of the poor and hungry.

There are many, many egg jewelry reproductions for purchase today and the original Faberge company still produces some gold pieces.

I also saw the Nicholas and Alexandra exhibit in Delaware and was thrilled to experience a first-hand viewing of this important period in history.

And yes, I have also bought the Joan Rivers eggs ornaments to decorate my tree--they are economical little works of art!

Honored Contributor

Thank you @PamfromCT , @Somertime , and @Dinaki ! It's all very interesting. I'm surprised there are so many left. I have to wonder if any of the revolutionaries or guards smuggled any of them from the winter palace. Did they get passed down through generations? What happened to them when the communists came to power. Did people hid them in their homes or apartments? I also read that when the czarina and the princesses were killed they had sewn jewelry into their clothes. Some of the executioners/guards must have taken those pieces. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw a huge Faberge collection at the National Geographic headquarters in Washington D.C. at least 40 years ago.  I believe that exhibition made a national tour.

Contributor

Actually, Alice Keppel is the great grandmother of Camilla.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sharbou   Thank you!  I've made the correction.

Esteemed Contributor

Those eggs are so lovely,especially the lily-of-the-valley piece. 

I've read a book called The Race to save the Romanovs. It explains what was behind no Royals coming to their rescue. Sad.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth