Honored Contributor

EARLY PHOTO OF MARILYN MONROE, NATURAL HAIR, PETER PAN COLLAR

Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 23-52-09 norma jean.png

There's even a hint of freckles, don't you think?   She looks so pretty and healthy here.

Respected Contributor

Re: EARLY PHOTO OF MARILYN MONROE, NATURAL HAIR, PETER PAN COLLAR

It is a lovely picture of her, but at the same time, makes me sad to see this picture- young, sweet and looking toward the future as most all young people do.

When I think of her life, I wonder if she would have been better off never achieving all the fame and fortune, which ended in such tragedy.

Honored Contributor

I can see the sadness in her eyes.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Insightful points that you make, @Flatbush ,  and @Group 5 minus 1 .    It is indeed sad.   There's a poignant complexity to her personality, which is apparent even in this photo.

What might have been!

Trusted Contributor

I grew up with Marilyn Monroe as a blonde bombshell icon, and though I didn't dislike her I wasn't a great fan either.  As a child, I just didn't find her that "pretty", not like Elizabeth Taylor or Grace Kelly or some others.

But as an older adult, I found an interview with her on youtube, it was after her fame was established, now I can't remember all details, but I think she was living with that couple, the husband was her doctor, maybe?

Anyway, she was being interviewed more as herself, and not so much as Marilyn Monroe, and I was struck with how her beauty came through, how utterly charming she was, how so appealing as a person.  She was like a different person entirely from the one I was used to seeing in movies, and movie interviews.

It was really amazing.

Yes, her life story is really a sad one.

Honored Contributor

I so agree on that elusive charm she had, that you picked up on, @blueroses47 !   

Honored Contributor

Interesting comments.  The picture had a naturalness and more of a "girl next door" quality to it.  Perhaps her true nature is reflected in this photo....outwards appearances can be deceiving, particularly when your profession is dependent on external considerations.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oznell, in this photo Marilyn certainly does have an unspoiled, corn-fed look about her.  No artifice in the least.

Thank you for posting the photo.  Don't believe I've ever seen it before.

Honored Contributor

That's one thing I liked about it too, @golding76 .   I've seen plenty of early shots of her with the wavy, light brown hair and minimal make-up, but don't think I'd ever seen this particular one. 

Respected Contributor

What a beautiful picture Oznell!

Nothing speaks like natural beauty.

Marilyn was underestimated and underappreciated for many things, one of which was her superb comedic talent. How to Marry a Millionaire showcased her intelligence and impeccable comedic timing. 

A life of love and tragedy.