Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite movie that casts mostly women as the leads?

Not really.  The first thing that popped into my head was What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

Baby Jane

Last night I finally got around to watching a film I DVR'd some time ago: The Private Lives of Pippa Lee.  That cast was heavily female.

I think I prefer films with a largely male cast that feature a female or females in memorable roles.  Like Kate Hepburn in The Lion in Winter or Kristin Scott Thomas and Juliette Binoche in The English Patient.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Anything with Kate Hepburn does it for me and I second Stage Door.  Excellent film!  

I'm more a tv person so I have a lot of series that are completely female driven that I've watched and rewatched some of them for years.

@Laura14  But that doesn't respond to the question - most of her films don't cast "mostly women" as leads.

Honored Contributor

And the timely mention of Hocus Pocus.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Anything with Kate Hepburn does it for me and I second Stage Door.  Excellent film!  

I'm more a tv person so I have a lot of series that are completely female driven that I've watched and rewatched some of them for years.

@Laura14  But that doesn't respond to the question - most of her films don't cast "mostly women" as leads.

@Pearlee  I understand your point but I think I still respectfully disagree.  Kate Hepburn pretty much led any film she was in even the ones with Spencer Tracy.  They were a couple but she was the one leading him around.  

My favorite is  Bringing up Baby which was pretty much Cary Grant chasing her (literally) and a leopard throughout the entire film.  It still makes me laugh.    

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Pearlee  I understand your point but I think I still respectfully disagree.  Kate Hepburn pretty much led any film she was in even the ones with Spencer Tracy.  They were a couple but she was the one leading him around.  

My favorite is  Bringing up Baby which was pretty much Cary Grant chasing her (literally) and a leopard throughout the entire film.  It still makes me laugh.    

She did, but "one woman" is not "mostly women," no matter how strong that woman is. Hollywood loves the idea that they can give us a single strong woman in a film and have us placated by how strong that one woman is allowed to be while every other position of power is taken up by men. Don't be fooled.

One strong woman is not representation.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

there was a witch movie with Anjelica Houston about witches that was cute, but I can't recall it's name

Trusted Contributor

My favorite would be "The Opposite Sex", which is the 1956 version of "The Women".  There are a couple of men in this version, but mostly women.  June Allyson, Joan Collins, Agnes Moorehead and Joan Blondell to name a few.  I love it! 

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

there was a witch movie with Anjelica Houston about witches that was cute, but I can't recall it's name

Yes I remember that one, it was called The Witches. It was kind of cute, and funny in parts!

Respected Contributor

@Dusty1 oh yes, I forgot about A League of Thier Own Smiley Happy !

of course one of the best lines IMO was by a male ( Tom Hanks)-- "there's no crying in baseball."

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

She did, but "one woman" is not "mostly women," no matter how strong that woman is. Hollywood loves the idea that they can give us a single strong woman in a film and have us placated by how strong that one woman is allowed to be while every other position of power is taken up by men. Don't be fooled.

One strong woman is not representation.

@ChynnaBlue  I completely disagree with this.  I have never liked pitting the sexes against one another.  Her roles were an example of what a woman could be and, in my opinion, pushed women forward to being seen as an different but equal partner to men. Something that my mother and I and now my nieces are all reaping the benefits of.

I'm not going to play semantics in this thread.  I gave my opinion on what I considered were movies with strong leading women.  I stand by my choices and my opinion on interpreting the original question.