Honored Contributor

Re: Designated Survivor on ABC Tonight (9/21/16) Did Anyone Watch?

[ Edited ]

I really liked this one. To be sure, there are going to be disconnects with almost anything they put out there; but overall, I thought it was engaging and entertaning. Personally, I think they have to include some of the family drama because it's a part of the 'real' life of any political figure. Living in the DC area it becomes prettly clear, by virtue of the fact that these folks live in the same neighborhoods as the rest of us and have friends and neighbors who talk and who have other friends and neighbors, that they sometimes have family issues just as do the rest of us.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I am a huge fan of Keifer.  I loved him in 24 too.  I dvr'd the show and plan on watching it tonight.  I like what I am hearing about it so far! 

Esteemed Contributor

I usually post on other forums, but this topic interests me. I like Kiefer Sutherland, and this show did not disappoint. The premise is a good one, and the pacing of the show was done well. It will be one of the better new shows of the season, and I hope that it holds enough viewers. Will definitely be watching next week. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

I wasnt bowled over by it.  I live here.  I thought the script was slightly lame, no way would they have assembled at the Whitehouse. No Way.  They would have hitailed it to the undesignated location.  The general as the evil one is ridiculous.  And most importantly people were not bundled up enough!!!!  It is fricking cold then.  The entire cast was dressed for a California winter.  And having lived thru 9-11 the image of the Capitol blowing up made me almost hyperventilate.  But for some brave souls it could have happened.  

Honored Contributor

I DVRd it.   

Respected Contributor

I DVD'd it, but I forgot it was on last night.

I'm glad it's getting good reviews.

Valued Contributor

I didn't watch the show last night -- forgot that it was airing.  Oh well.  But I found this very interesting and something I didn't know:  I was watching a local news program at 11:00 pm, and there was a segment about the show and our NYC Governor Andrew Cuomo.  He was the designated survivor TWICE during the Clinton administration while he was at HUD under Clinton.  He said he was protected by a couple dozen Secret Service agents, and he was also accompanied by the "football," the valise containing the nuclear codes.  He said it was a very sobering experience and one that has and will affect him for the rest of his life.  I can only imagine how chilling it must have been!  The current Secretary of Homeland Security, Jeh Johnson, was also a designated survivor in the past and felt pretty much the same as the Governor did.  Makes me shudder just thinking about it...

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@ChazzyLady wrote:

BTW, I could tell this show was definitely not filmed in DC, so I looked it up and most certainly it was not.

The show was actually shot in, gulp, TORONTO, CANADA!  LOL!

Canada is big filming destination, 

@ChazzyLady    @jackthebear

There's NO WAY this show could shoot from Washington ....  a large film crew is much too chaotic and disruptive to be in such a busy city all the time.  Cameo shots yes, regular filming. no way.

Since Keifer is Canadian and has family there, I'm sure this was arranged to entice him to stay on the show for a while if it's successful.   JMO

Respected Contributor

One more thing.  I think the writers have missed the boat in this episode anyway.  This guy doesnt appear to be power or ego driven.  Not the types that inhabit cabinet level posiitions in my experience.   A do-gooder that is pushed by his senior staffer for what she thinks should be his??? LOL.  

Valued Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

One more thing.  I think the writers have missed the boat in this episode anyway.  This guy doesnt appear to be power or ego driven.  Not the types that inhabit cabinet level posiitions in my experience.   A do-gooder that is pushed by his senior staffer for what she thinks should be his??? LOL.  

It is a fictionalized story, after all, even though it's based on factual policy.  It's entertainment and doesn't have to be accurate.  West Wing, which I think is one of the best and most compelling TV network dramatic series ever made, was not entirely factually correct either.  It's poetic license.  I'm just sorry I missed it; guess I'll have to wait until the end-of-season runs.