Super Contributor

DOWNTON ABBEY, POSSIBLE SPOILER

Does anyone have any thoughts on why Mary changed her mind about Lord Gillingham? He certainly did not take that news well.
Honored Contributor

Re: DOWNTON ABBEY, POSSIBLE SPOILER

I just think she decided maybe she was just in "lust" with him, instead of in "love" and maybe realized he is really only wants her for her money!

I wish she would get with Charles Drake, I really like him!

Valued Contributor

With the many hints that Tom Branson plans to leave for America, I think Mary realizes Gillingham is not a good "fit" for the future of Downton. If Tom does go, she needs a partner to help her conserve the property and the remaining wealth so it can pass on to her son.

Super Contributor

Lord Gillingham asked Mary himself what I suspected. Her reply was typical of a lady who wouldn't hurt a gentleman's feelings.

Respected Contributor

I think she just realized he's boring and she has nothing in common with him. She seems to have more interesting conversations with Charles Blake. But I didn't get what he meant when he said, (something like) "you know how you could break it to him more easily, don't you?" and she looked puzzled. I'm puzzled too. Was it just that he wanted her to say there was someone else (Blake) or did he mean something else?

Super Contributor

I think that it was a combination of everything said and ,when she finally went to bed with him, she realized that there was nothing there and she didn't want to just settle for someone of her social class, etc. Honestly, I think that it was as simple as that. And, btw, could that teacher learn to quit when she's ahead? She won the argument. Keep quiet now!

Super Contributor

Thanks, ladies. I appreciate your input. I was kind of thinking along the lines of kathoderay since her decision came so soon after their visit to the hotel. I also prefer Blake. No one can measure up to Matthew, though, in my opinion. I don't care for the teacher at all. And what's up with Thomas?
Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2015 smokymtngal said:

I think she just realized he's boring and she has nothing in common with him. She seems to have more interesting conversations with Charles Blake. But I didn't get what he meant when he said, (something like) "you know how you could break it to him more easily, don't you?" and she looked puzzled. I'm puzzled too. Was it just that he wanted her to say there was someone else (Blake) or did he mean something else?

He's boring!, I think she is as dull as they come.

I don't follow the show my husband does, so I saw that part

Honored Contributor

Wouldn't it be ironic if Lady Mary were to wed a wealthy American? Perhaps an eligible bachelor Tom meets during his visit who returns with him to England. American money once again saves Downton!

Valued Contributor

On 1/26/2015 dobiesrule said: Thanks, ladies. I appreciate your input. I was kind of thinking along the lines of kathoderay since her decision came so soon after their visit to the hotel. I also prefer Blake. No one can measure up to Matthew, though, in my opinion. I don't care for the teacher at all. And what's up with Thomas?
as to Thomas--Have you seen Imitation Game? I suspect he's embarked on a similar treatment.