Honored Contributor

Crime Thriller "T-Men" 6:15 p.m. Eastern Today TCM

Compelling little film noir that doesn't get shown as often as others.  Directed by legendary Anthony Mann and shot by noir cameraman extradordaire John Alton, resulting in memorably moody photography...

This was shot in the semi-documentary style catching on in the late Forties, so has an eerie realism.  Elite U.S. Trearury agents go underground to ensnare vicious counterfeiting ring.  Taut suspense.

Another bonus:  the presence of Dennis O'Keefe.  He was the child of Irish vaudevilleans in the U.S.  Terrific knockabout actor who often played tough guys but in real life he wrote as well as acted.  Very appealing, masculine film presence.  Died too early.

Honored Contributor

Re: Crime Thriller "T-Men" 6:15 p.m. Eastern Today TCM

Love the ersatz air of realism!  Love the deep shadows!  Love the laconic language of the tough, savvy Treasury agents!

Honored Contributor

Don't mind me, I know I'm pretty much talking to myself, ha.  Love the easy authority of Dennis O'Keefe.  He and Alfred Ryder so natty in their boxy Forties tailoring.  One of my biggest fashion regrets ever is that men stopped wearing fedoras...... They look so mysterious and dashing in them....

Honored Contributor

I'm watching it right along with you @Oznell, I love Film Noir.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Great! Love the company!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  They say JFK stopped the hat wearing of men (for some unknown reason). Pity. I love the old news reels showing a huge crowd and all you see is the fedoras. Priceless. 

Dennis O'Keefe. I remember him when I was very young and always wondered why he didn't make more movies. He was very good. Even more than the T-Men I liked 13 Rue Madeleine. Great spy stuff. Cagney was terrific but I'm not really a fan. 

Reed Hadley was the narrator in most of these semi-docu movies. My brother and I always recognized the voice. And on and on.....................

Honored Contributor

You're so right, judaline.  His career was cut short when he died at 60, I believe, of lung cancer.  Like so many of his generation, lamentably.