Esteemed Contributor

Composer Jerry Herman Passes Away

Jerry Herman, the Broadway composer who gave us Hello, Dolly, MAME and La Cage Aux Folles, among other works, has passed away at age 88.

I was fortunate enough to see a revival of MAME with Angela Lansbury in the early 1980s.
Honored Contributor

Re: Composer Jerry Herman Passes Away

Sigh-- I hate to see the loss of these great stalwarts of the classic American musical theater.  RIP.

Honored Contributor

If you hear We Need A Little Christmas , in the the next week, think of Jerry Herman, he wrote it!! It is from Mame. 

Trusted Contributor

This is the time when all the entertainment and news shows go over the list of people who have died this year and it is always so sad. (Honestly, they always mention people who I swear died years ago, but I was wrong.) I do hope that Jerry Herman is among those mentioned at the Oscars since there are always people who get left off that list and every year people are angry. 

Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

This is the time when all the entertainment and news shows go over the list of people who have died this year and it is always so sad. (Honestly, they always mention people who I swear died years ago, but I was wrong.) I do hope that Jerry Herman is among those mentioned at the Oscars since there are always people who get left off that list and every year people are angry. 

If not the Oscars, certainly the Grammys and Tonys. 

Trusted Contributor

You are right, @Shelbelle - definitely the Tony's. I wish they would do a medly of his songs, like the show Jerry's Girls.

Esteemed Contributor

Mr. Herman will get this fitting type of tribute:

Broadway theatres will dim their marquee lights January 7, 2020, at 6:45 PM for one minute in memory of Tony Award-winning composer and lyricist Jerry Herman, who died December 26 at the age of 88.

It's highly unlikely he'd be included in the Oscar tribute.  His association with the film industry was tangential, the two adaptations of his works Hello, Dolly and Mame being generally viewed as unsuccessful.