Respected Contributor

Re: Charo- An Informal Poll-

@mousiegirl wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

Forgot to say, I think the exaggerated accent is fake too.  Never liked her.

There's no way she's been here this long and still has that heavy an accent. Fake. It's her schtick. 

@PurpleBunny  This what I think of Dr. Henry Lee, can't stand him after the Simpson trial, but he has been here over forty years, I believe, and still has a thick accent.

That's ridiculous. They don't lose it because they don't want to. I used to work in a dental office and patients used to get soooooo angry with me when I couldn't understand them.  It got old really quickly. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

There's no way she's been here this long and still has that heavy an accent. Fake. It's her schtick. 

@PurpleBunny  This what I think of Dr. Henry Lee, can't stand him after the Simpson trial, but he has been here over forty years, I believe, and still has a thick accent.

it is absolutely possible to have a very heavy accent even having been here for a LONG time. i even know some family and friends who have been here 50+ years that still speak in "broken english."

It is impossible unless you refuse to correct it. Anyone gets fluent in a language if they practice. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

I am going ot believe the 76 is accurate, at least 70, she was on Love Boat 40 years ago, and did not appear that young.

Honored Contributor

According to this

:https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how+old+is+charo&*

She's 66 years old.  I'd say she is probably close to 70 but wow!  She's in great shape.  Everyone always thought Angela Landsbury was older than she really was.

I adore her.  She's great for Seniors...like, if she can do it, maybe I can too.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue I asked Google how old Charo was, and that's what came up in a blurb on the right hand side of the page.

Respected Contributor

I'm old and she was on prime time when I was little!   She's no spring pollo, that's for sure. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

re accents

I work with people who have been in this country (and are now US Citizens) for 20, 30, 40 and 50 years but they speak their native language at home and outside of work, so they have not lost their accent at all.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I would have put Charo in her 80s, I'm surprised you are all saying 70s.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@mousiegirl     @PurpleBunny 

There's one thing most people keep forgetting about retaining accents .... it depends in great part who is around you.  

My friend's wife is from Australia, and has lived here 20 years.  Her accent is still as strong as the day she arrived.   Why?   I think it's because she skypes with her mother in Australia every single day .... and has several friends here originally from Australia.   They all "reinforce" the accent every time they have a conversation.

Same with a coworker years ago.   He spoke almost accent free ......   until he chatted with family in Boston.   For a couple days afterwards, you could hear a slight Bostonian accent in his speech.  He picked it back up again.  This is normal.

If Charo is surrounded by predominantly Hispanics, just how would she ever lose the accent?

Having said all that, I think that since she is famous for her accent, she lays it on a little thick.   So what?  JMO

Trusted Contributor

I'm turning 70 in June, and I clearly remember watching Charo when I was a young teenager.  I had the sense then, that she was definitely older than me.  She was already married I think.  I don't care what date of birth is listed for her, I would bet (big) money that she is well into her seventies.

She looks great for her age, she has never seemed to change much, the odd times I have seen her over the years.