Honored Contributor

Charles Osgood Retiring From CBS Sunday Morning

"Charles Osgood today announced his retirement as anchor of CBS’ 'Sunday Morning,' ending a 22-year run at the broadcast. Osgood’s award-winning 45-year career at CBS News will be celebrated during his final appearance as anchor on Sept. 25, 2016 on the CBS Television Network."

To read more:   Gosh I didn't realize he's 84 yrs old!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/charles-osgood-announces-retirement-as-anchor-of-cbs-sunday-morning-afte...

Honored Contributor

Re: Charles Osgood Retiring From CBS Sunday Morning

@Pearlee I always DVR that show and watch it later in the day.  I love that show.  It just makes me feel good because it's usually about upbeat things and not a lot but just enough.

I was sorry to hear that too.  He's good but at least he said he'll be on the radio.  You know I always worry about people announcing their retirement.  I know it's time but so often shortly after they pass away...

He had his hip (I believe it was that, or his knees) replaced not long ago.  At his age it can really strain the body.  Hopefully, it's just that his family said, "Look!  We love you and you need to slow down"....hopefully.

Honored Contributor

Is Katie Couric 'on deck' as his replacement?

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Is Katie Couric 'on deck' as his replacement?

I hope not.

Honored Contributor

He has earned a wonderful retirement, but, I will miss that lovely voice of his on Sunday morningsSmiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

CBS forced him out due to his age. Rumors are that Jane Pauley will replace him – I would rather he continued on; I much prefer him & his style to hers. He was very careful in how he worded his announcement today. He said his family & friends always asked him how much longer was he going to do this but that he loved it and why wouldn’t he be doing it. He never said HE wanted to retire. I think sometimes these networks don’t realize that it is like inviting a longtime friend into your home and to throw them to curb because of age doesn’t sit well with some. I could see if he had dementia and was unable to do the job, but he is as good today as he has been all along, and it is fit enough to continue with his radio program. I think it is sad.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

CBS forced him out due to his age.

@Havarti  How do you know this?  What is your source?

Honored Contributor

I watched most of CBS Sunday Morning this morning but missed the beginning where he said this.  I'll miss him, but am happy to hear it might be Jane Pauley who's replacing him.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Early Sunday mornings with a cup of coffee and watching "Sunday🌞Morning" won't be the same.  I'll miss you Charlie!😢

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee  I know some people within the organization (I worked for a division of it). 

But, here is a link from January 15, 2016 that gave an early heads-up to the situation:  https://aphidt2cn.org/720844255239/0c3f33f40fb0bc4172d668d770e6ff8d.html

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.