Respected Contributor

Re: California Dreamin':The Songs Of The Mamas And The Papas

Ilove their songs! I was humming one the other day and was shocked my 27 year old music loving ds didn't recognize it! He didn't know any of the "oldies"! I love music of the 60's!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

So, we'll find out who won late tonight?  Right?

Honored Contributor

I loved their harmony, too. Whatever happened to the business about Mackenzie Phillips saying her father abused her s e x uallly for 10 years? I'm wondering why she stuck around being she was 19. Then she wrote a book about it. Did anyone believe her? I remember being confused.

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed watching this. It reminded me how many great songs The Mamas and the Papas released in their short 2 1/2 years together. 

Honored Contributor

Rats, I missed this. Will it be shown again? Does anyone know?

Respected Contributor

@Judaline I enjoyed thier appearances on the Ed Sullivan show and thier songs. they did have beautiful harmony and were a part of the times.

As I watched the PBS show I had to tune out & finally changed channels when they showed Ms. Phillips father. I never read her books , but found her believable when seeing her make her rounds on talk shows and news. It seems he started her on drugs--great Dad. As to molesting her  I think someone in her situation takes a while to realize that isn't the norm.

Sad how scandal can affect the other talented members.

Esteemed Contributor

@okaywitheasypay I lean toward your viewpoint. Even if Papa John did not molest his daughter, getting her hooked on illicit drugs and hard liquor was not very fatherly.  Furthermore, God only knows how many others had their way with a tripped out young girl. 

Honored Contributor

QualityGal wrote:

Rats, I missed this. Will it be shown again? Does anyone know?

QG - I think the PBS schedule must vary by market because it's not even on until tomorrow (Sunday 8/28) night in my market.

Hopefully, you have it on your guide again, too.  I have it scheduled to record tomorrow at 7:30pm.   You might check your guide, or do a search.   I don't know how search works for cable, but I know that they have that ability now.   I use Tivos, so I just do the search on the Tivo.  The good thing about that is that it will also tell you if a given program is available on any of your streaming plans, such as Amazon, Netflix, etc.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

go to pbs.org and find your local station or stations (we actually have three available in our area). you can then look up the show by name or check out your local schedule to see if they are airing it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I came upon the show twice and twice I missed the first half-was wondering if Mama Cass sang 'Dream a Little Dream of Me'? Love that. For me, she had the best voice.