Honored Contributor

Re: CBS - "All Access" Would You Pay for the Ability to Watch Something on the Internet?

I'm still a tad confused but depending on where you live, electricity and internet access fees are fairly stable, therefore you can access tv programming on a variety of platforms.  I do believe people are ditching satellite and cable in droves.

Respected Contributor

Re: CBS - "All Access" Would You Pay for the Ability to Watch Something on the Internet?

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I keep saying it, because I keep being told it by young people (people from teens to even 30's) they don't watch TV, period.

I say, "How do you get news"?  They say, "Internet".  I say what do you do in down time?  They say, "Internet".  OK, I guess that's the way of the future.

Just because we were all 'raised' on TV doesn't mean our generation once or twice removed will do it.  For our generation (I'm a Boomer 70 years old) the TV was a new thing and wonderful (I'm talking about watching it almost every day).

For these younger generations, it's the internet.  I constantly am telling my grandchildren and young people, "You cannot believe all of the junk you see on the internet".  They just look at me like, "they don't believe ME!"  Ha!  They'll sit for a long time watching makeup be applied.  My daughter has told me about some of the weirdest things people do for long periods of time on the internet and people just sit and watch, stupid things.  No storyline, nothing that we'd call interesting, just stupid things.

I agree -- for most people under 30 (and many over 30 these days) it's all about technology.  One of my colleagues in her 20's texts all day long, posts constantly on Instagram and Facebook and watches mostly reality TV.  When I ask if she has heard about a news story the response is usually no.  And we know newspapers are dying, so the younger generations certainly aren't reading those.  It's not the way we grew up.

Hey, I have an iphone too and read on the internet and technology can be a great thing.  And I certainly don't think people have to watch a lot of television.  But there is a trend now to charge for some programming and I suspect that will continue.  I'm guessing CBS is testing those waters.  Will I pay for CBS All Access?  No.  Will we come to a time when all TV is available that way?  We'll see. 

Super Contributor

My cable includes DEMAND.  A number of the shows I watch are presented on Sunday nights.  DEMAND allows me to spread them out over the week.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SydneyH wrote:

I'm still a tad confused but depending on where you live, electricity and internet access fees are fairly stable, therefore you can access tv programming on a variety of platforms.  I do believe people are ditching satellite and cable in droves.

They might be ditching satellite and cable service, but they have to pay for internet service from someone. Comcast in my market charges $89.00 for standalone ISP service. There are equipment charges and taxes. This fee can be more than $100 a month. You then need something to watch. The watch comes at a price. Comcast in the Northeast usually raise price $5 a month on internet. This year it was $12. They hit us with sport fees.

Esteemed Contributor

@rustee wrote:

My cable includes DEMAND.  A number of the shows I watch are presented on Sunday nights.  DEMAND allows me to spread them out over the week.

Your cable company may allow you to watch demand programs with an app or on your computer. This is better than regular demand. You have more choices.

You may want to start by going to your cable company web site.

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

They might be ditching satellite and cable service, but they have to pay for internet service from someone. Comcast in my market charges $89.00 for standalone ISP service. There are equipment charges and taxes. This fee can be more than $100 a month. You then need something to watch. The watch comes at a price. Comcast in the Northeast usually raise price $5 a month on internet. This year it was $12. They hit us with sport fees.

Hence what I posted before, I pay about $45 for internet and home phone perhaps another $60 for electricity, my network modem allows all of us to stream at the same time.  Even when I add in my Hulu, NetFlix and CBS subscriptions fees, I come out with a savings of over $100 per month.

Respected Contributor

I do not like having to pay for TV, or any type of programing.

TV was once free for all to enjoy. Today it is something you have to budget for.

In today's market place it is difficult for PBS to survive, and PBS has good programs.

I do not buy anything outside "the Box", and dislike the bill needed for watching TV.

Honored Contributor

No....I already pay enough for TV...and we hardly watch any of the channels...we are not sport people so the sport channels are never viewed  and the children's programing is of no vaule to us either.

Trusted Contributor

No.

Respected Contributor

I watched the Good Fight last night and while I liked it, I won't be paying to watch more episodes.