Honored Contributor

Re: CBS - "All Access" Would You Pay for the Ability to Watch Something on the Internet?

Like CBS needs more money, no thanks.

There's not enough I care to watch on CBS to even think about it.

@Annabellethecat66

Honored Contributor

Re: CBS - "All Access" Would You Pay for the Ability to Watch Something on the Internet?

I use CBS All Access for the Big Brother live feeds, but when BB ends so does my subscription.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

If you have cable don't you already have access to everything CBS offers? I would think they are trying to get the money of those of us who are not willing to pay tons for cable anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

If you have cable don't you already have access to everything CBS offers? I would think they are trying to get the money of those of us who are not willing to pay tons for cable anymore.

@willdob3, no.  As an example, the last season of Big Brother was All Access so unless you paid for it, you didn't get it.  It wasn't on regular CBS.

I know a number of younger people who won't pay for cable and use other means, which I don't understand other than I believe Apple TV is one, then they may pay for various things to get other channels.  I apologize that this makes no sense but I don't really understand it other than they don't have the huge cable bill yet still get a lot off great channels and have great options.

Respected Contributor

I was a big fan of The Good Wife and was happy to hear there is a spinoff coming called The Good Fight.  Unfortunately, it's on CBS All Access and I won't pay to watch.  I already pay enough for cable and don't even have any premium channels.  FYI - I saw a commercial today that said Showtime was free this weekend, starting today.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I don't understand this CBS All Access?  I shouldn't even be on here about it until I check it out......but it kinda goes with what I've been yelping here about for more than a year.

I've been saying (based on my own research which is worth about 1 penny) that young people (people 30 and under) do not watch TV much anymore.  I know none of my grandchildren and/or their friends do not watch TV.  They sit in front of the computer (and watch shows) or Netflix (older shows) or some watch their Iphones, etc.

This CBS all access seems to me to feed right into this.  There are many other shows offered like this lately.

I already pay an arm and a leg (sorry, old saying) for Cable and my electric bill (which to me are one in the same) from having TV's (2) on 24/7 it seems.  Now I'm expected to pay (?) for something else.

My cable bill 'allows' me to view everything (every channel and even sports) they offer.  It is quite a sum of money to be able to do this, now I'm supposed to cough up more money?

I don't understand how this works, maybe it is free.  If it is, good.  I'm just not one to sit in front of a computer screen (I'm too old - 70 years old) and my eyes would rather watch a 55 inch TV screen.

I think for now (unless I find out it's free and worthwhile) I'll stick to watching my 55 inch TV.  It's not a smart TV and I've been thinking about getting a big (like this) smart TV.  If I find out there are 'all access' shows I can watch on a smart TV, then maybe I'll consider getting the smart TV.

I'm interested in finding out if any of you have watched similar 'all access' or something similar on your computers?  If so and if a person has a smart TV couldn't they (instead of watching a little computer screen) transfer that to their smart TV and watch it on the big screen?  Also, is there a cost to this?

Now I'm going to go on the internet and find out about all access but I'm more interested in what some of you have to say because many of you are REAL TV VIEWERS like myself.  We enjoy quite a variation of TV shows.  It's almost a 'sport' to me and some of you.  Ha!  I wouldn't admit that to just anyone, so this is just between me and you and the zillion of QVC forum fans....Come on people let me hear from the peanut gallery....yeas and nays....those who won't pay and those who will and do pay.  Convince me......I'm a marshmello and will bend every which way.....

This service is likely geared toward those who do not have cable tv subscriptions.  If you do have cable already and can get CBS then this is free to you.  If not, they have subscription services for those who have gotten rid of their cable.  

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@willdob3 I think you are exactly right (about wanting non-cable or limited cable watchers to pay for this show).

I think they are trying to get people to pick and choose.  Yes, I have ON DEMAND (they capitalize it, Ha) and I have the cable where to talk into the thing a ma gig!  Ha!  So I probably have access to it.  I also have Apple TV and bla bla but I don't use the thing.

I do have a life outside of TV although not a big one anymore as it's difficult for me to get around these days.  I don't miss the physical activity as much as the cerebral activity interacting with groups of people with ideas that are like and definitely opposite mine.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get back to that.  TV can't provide that interaction.

Honored Contributor

To me the way people are viewing shows has changed considerably. Traditional cable is becoming less popular while Hulu and other streaming subscriptions are gaining popularity. I am currently watching DirecTV programming and I'm not subscribed to anything else. My bill is way too high. Every year I call their cs and ask to lower my bill and they usually do because I tell them if they don't I will cancel. Many people are cutting their cables and ditching their dishes for streaming services. It's just what seems to be happening.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not interested in watching The Good Fight, which is the only original show I know of on the CBS All Access channel, so I definitely wouldn't pay for it.  The other shows are already on CBS as far as I can tell by looking at the website.

I don't think you automatically have CBS All Access if you have a Smart TV.  It's a channel that you have to pay extra for regardless of what else you have.  I have Tivo, which is similar to a Smart TV, and I don't have it.  I would imagine you can access it through a Smart TV, but you have to pay in order to have access.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I am list when it cones to all that stuff. I don't know what streaming is oorvwhy I need it. We have a zillion channels on satellite, not that I watch many. Why would I want to sit at the computer to watch tv? Or watch it on a tiny phone or iPad? Makes no sense to me.