Honored Contributor

Re: CBS - "All Access" Would You Pay for the Ability to Watch Something on the Internet?

Let me clear up some confusion here. You don't have to watch CBS All Access through a computer or tablet/phone. You can watch it on a TV that's has a smart device (Roku, FIre TV, etc.)  attached to it. 

CBS All Access gives you access to pretty much every program CBS has ever produced, including some that haven't been on the air in decades. Cable's On Demand typically is much more limited in the programs available.

Streaming services like Amazon, Hulu, Netflix and now CBS All Access are now making programs just for those services that you can't watch in any other manner. CBS has their new Star Trek series heading for CBS All Access. The Good Wife spinoff is there also. It's one more way to be entertained for a relatively small price.

Eventually I think all programming will be streamed on demand to viewers and very little will air live. Instead of a big cable bill, you'll have a series of small bills that you pay to the channels you watch and only those channels. You may even just pay per channel for the shows you watch on that channel and even then the price may vary from channel to channel and even program to program. I think they say the average cable watcher only watches twelve channels on a routine basis, but we pay for dozens/hundreds. If you only paid for the channels you watched, and only while you were watching them, it would create an insanely more competitive marketplace for viewers. Now most of the cable channels make their money no matter how many or few people watch them. If that gets flipped so they only make money if people watch them, then they'll have to work harder to get viewers which should be good for the viewers.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: CBS - "All Access" Would You Pay for the Ability to Watch Something on the Internet?

CBS All Access gives you access to pretty much every program CBS has ever produced, including some that haven't been on the air in decades. Cable's On Demand typically is much more limited in the programs available.

You can see many programs with CBS All Access, but the new popular shows have limited episodes available.  If you have Comcast or another provider you can watch shows on many devices in your home.

CBS All Access, Hulu or Netflix, change the rules on what shows we can see. This can depend what is playing in syndication.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Let me clear up some confusion here. You don't have to watch CBS All Access through a computer or tablet/phone. You can watch it on a TV that's has a smart device (Roku, FIre TV, etc.)  attached to it. 

Streaming services like Amazon, Hulu, Netflix and now CBS All Access are now making programs just for those services that you can't watch in any other manner. CBS has their new Star Trek series heading for CBS All Access. The Good Wife spinoff is there also. It's one more way to be entertained for a relatively small price.

Eventually I think all programming will be streamed on demand to viewers and very little will air live. Instead of a big cable bill, you'll have a series of small bills that you pay to the channels you watch and only those channels. You may even just pay per channel for the shows you watch on that channel and even then the price may vary from channel to channel and even program to program. I think they say the average cable watcher only watches twelve channels on a routine basis, but we pay for dozens/hundreds. If you only paid for the channels you watched, and only while you were watching them, it would create an insanely more competitive marketplace for viewers. Now most of the cable channels make their money no matter how many or few people watch them. If that gets flipped so they only make money if people watch them, then they'll have to work harder to get viewers which should be good for the viewers.

@gardenman

Oh boy .....  talk about confusion!    

When I was a kid, I remember getting a new TV.   My dad set it up, plugged it into the wall, and adjusted the rabbit ears antenna.  Boom.  Done.   There were no subscriptions and monthly bills.   No need.   

Honored Contributor

No, my Comcast bill is high enough!!!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman

Oh boy .....  talk about confusion!    

When I was a kid, I remember getting a new TV.   My dad set it up, plugged it into the wall, and adjusted the rabbit ears antenna.  Boom.  Done.   There were no subscriptions and monthly bills.   No need.   

Yes, and we were happy to get 3 or 4 channels at best.

Honored Contributor

I no longer subscribe to satellite and find the All Access app very useful, and inexpensive.  They are also constantly adding new programming like live NFL games so it's a win win in my book.

Honored Contributor

For CBS .... not a diime.   

Honored Contributor

I keep saying it, because I keep being told it by young people (people from teens to even 30's) they don't watch TV, period.

I say, "How do you get news"?  They say, "Internet".  I say what do you do in down time?  They say, "Internet".  OK, I guess that's the way of the future.

Just because we were all 'raised' on TV doesn't mean our generation once or twice removed will do it.  For our generation (I'm a Boomer 70 years old) the TV was a new thing and wonderful (I'm talking about watching it almost every day).

For these younger generations, it's the internet.  I constantly am telling my grandchildren and young people, "You cannot believe all of the junk you see on the internet".  They just look at me like, "they don't believe ME!"  Ha!  They'll sit for a long time watching makeup be applied.  My daughter has told me about some of the weirdest things people do for long periods of time on the internet and people just sit and watch, stupid things.  No storyline, nothing that we'd call interesting, just stupid things.

My grandson is 9 years old.  He has his own YouTube show.  My daughter and son-in-law have computer degrees so they know how to control the entire thing.  My daughter said, "We know if we didn't let him have his own show he'd be watching someone else's.  This way we can control what he sees and does".

It is scary for me to think about the internet because I know how much 'stuff' there is out there.  I cannot imagine being a parent these days.  Trying to keep up with electronics, websites, etc.

There are websites (I don't know them) that they are totally anonymous (so I've read).  That's scary to me.  

Most parents are so busy trying to make a living they don't have time to keep up with this stuff.  My daughter has 4 children in 4 different schools.  Can you imagine how busy she is?  I'm very impressed with her.

We all must pay attention to what's going on.  Just because you're a Boomer or in your 50's and so on, everyone needs to learn and pay attention.  It keeps the mind young.  I keep up on as much as I can (i.e. music, technology, etc) because I have 7 grandchildren who can talk rings around me.  I get fast food (sometimes 3 different kinds they like) we sit in my car, radio turned low and they talk and talk and I love every minute of it.  Try it sometime.  

My best friend just got an IPHONE yesterday.  She's been texting, sending pictures, etc.  I've had one since they came out.  Finally, she listened to me and got one.  She's soooo happy she did.

Technology is great if you make it work for you.  If you don't pay attention.....well, you'll regret it, just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

So what exactly is your question?  The All Access app allows subcribers the ability to stream live or choose from the all demand library using the internet.  Otherwise you would have to wait a day or two to access some of the programming.

Honored Contributor

My point is I believe it will eventually become you either pay or you don't see whatever it is.  Right now they are giving you a little of both....that is my point.

I believe there won't be such a thing as 'free' TV.  Actually, there isn't free TV now.  I guess a more accurate description would be, "TV will become MORE expensive".  There....that's my point...