Respected Contributor

The movie is so authentic, I have been to Brooklyn because I have a friend from college who grew up there. They moved to long island when we were seniors in college. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Brooklyn (Movie)

[ Edited ]

@Ibby114 wrote:

@twinsister wrote:

Yes - I saw it for the first time last week and loved it.   I don't recognize any of the actors, but they were all so good.  I live in Brooklyn and was born in the 50's so that makes me enjoy it even more.  It is  on later today and I will probably watch it again,

I lived in Brooklyn in the 1980's and tht made the movie even more special to me-  the house she lived in was on Clinton St in Bklyn Heights (my neighborhood)!

@Ibby114 .... Hi neighbor!! .... I was born & raised in Brooklyn on Clinton St & President St ... I loved that neighborhood ... I moved from there in 1978 but, occasionally go back to visit friends & buy Italian pastries from Court Pastry on Court St.... small world itsn't it !!!!!

Respected Contributor

This movie made my day.  Loved it.  

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Trusted Contributor

hi twin!!    I saw this movie too and I absolutely loved it.   I was afraid that she was not going to go back to her husband and I was dying.   LOVED IT!!

I just saw Petes Dragon today.   OMG     I cried like a baby!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@snowball - Hi snow!!!  I thought the same thing - that she might not go back to her husband.  So glad she did - he was such a cutie and a good guy.

Come visit us at DAYS sometimes!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Brooklyn (Movie)

[ Edited ]

Twin!!  I loved her husband in the movie too.   I was really getting upset thinking she wasn't going back to him.   LOL

I will be back to the DAYS board soon.   I miss my DAYSies!!!!!

Contributor

I loved it too. It was very good. I don't want to spoil it for those who may not have seen it. But her sister and mother's story was sad. I wanted to cry when her mom said "I am going to bed"  You can neither depend on someone else for your happisness or sacrifice your own happines for others. It seems there was little left for her mother and she became depressed with the situation. That was heartbreaking to watch.

Respected Contributor

If you watch that scene with her mother hugging her goodby, her mother seems to move her eyes towards her daughter and smile a little bit. Like it was ok to let her go. 

Honored Contributor

@conlt, I watched this movie last weekend on HBO, and really loved it, such a sweet movie!  She had me worried there for a moment, I thought she was going to stay in Ireland, but glad she didn't!

Honored Contributor

@conlt I actually stayed away from this thread because I DVR'd it and hadn't seen it until last night. I LOVED this movie! I watched with my elderly mother, she loved it too. It gave me some insight as to what my grandparents went through to come to America. How brave this people were, leaving their home to start over in a new country, not knowing the language or having family here yet, I know my mother's father came here at 17 and was sponsored by a family. My mother's mother came with her family at 16. She was so shy and didn't go to school, she learned English on her own but her great shame was she never learned to read or write English. When I was a kid I never caught on because I use to read to her! A proud day for her was when my mother taught her to sign her own name! Just a very sweet and touching film.