Esteemed Contributor

Re: Brooklyn (Movie)

[ Edited ]

@January121 wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@twinsister wrote:

Yes - I saw it for the first time last week and loved it.   I don't recognize any of the actors, but they were all so good.  I live in Brooklyn and was born in the 50's so that makes me enjoy it even more.  It is  on later today and I will probably watch it again,

I lived in Brooklyn in the 1980's and tht made the movie even more special to me-  the house she lived in was on Clinton St in Bklyn Heights (my neighborhood)!

@Ibby114 .... Hi neighbor!! .... I was born & raised in Brooklyn on Clinton St & President St ... I loved that neighborhood ... I moved from there in 1978 but, occasionally go back to visit friends & buy Italian pastries from Court Pastry on Court St.... small world itsn't it !!!!!

I lived on Henry & Joralemon!  The world is so small, it's a very small world in fact. About a year or so ago  I was standing on a long line in a Q outlet and chatted up with the people around me. The woman in front of me lived in the same building at the same time !! 

Have you checeked out DUMBO, the area under the Bklyn & Manhattan Bridges? They talked about making it a SOHO type area for years and it finally happened!

Valued Contributor

I thought the actress Saoirse Ronan was magnificent.   Her non-verbal actions were so right on with her facial expressions.   

Loved the era it was set in.

Honored Contributor

She was also very good in The Grand Budapest Hotel although her part wasn't nearly as big.

Honored Contributor

I was going to start a post about this movie and then I saw this one!  DH picked this movie out yesterday for us to watch.  Oh, my gosh --- I loved this movie so much!!!! It touched my heart like no story has in so very long.  I grew up in this time era also and so it was very meaningful as well.  I could feel her struggles and torment --- missing her homeland and her family there so much - yet wanting to make her own life.  She didn't need to say a word --- you could see all the emotion in her eyes and on her lovely face.  

For awhile I thought -- she is not going to go back to America -- but then I think she just was trying to feel and pretend what it would be like if she were to live in her homeland again.  It would be what her mother wanted and the job was offered to her and the nice man who was offering her a wonderful life.  But her heart wasn't truly there any longer.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Is this based on the book by Colm Toibin?

Frequent Contributor

I was amazed when I watched this little movie. It was exquisite! I had heard nothing about it but that it was an academy award nominee.  These two actors that played the young irish girl and her italian boyfriend were just wonderful. It  moved me.

This is what I experienced when I happened upon the movie Grand Torino with Clint Eastwood. I was so drawn into the story. There are still great movies to be had!

Thanks for bringing this up!

Esteemed Contributor

@conlt wrote:

Oh yes, I can relate to it. My mother is Italian and my father was Irish. We were always under pressure to marry an Italian Catholic from my mothers side of the family and an Irish Catholic from my fathers side. The Italian family in the movie reminds me of my family, very vocal, warm and laughing together. Yes I will watch it again this afternoon. Great movie. It was up for best picture in 2016 and the actress was nominated for an academy award. 

Halo,  I totally relate to what you have said!  My mom is Italian and my dad Irish so I really to get it LOL. !!!  Love the movie and hsve watched it now about 5 times,  even my hubby who btw is named Tony has watched it more times then me!   That family in the movie is so much like my Italian side as well !  We've certainly gave had many good times with the great sense of humor on both sides!  I do believe that Italian/irish are a great combo lol

Esteemed Contributor

@MELAMWO wrote:

I loved it too. It was very good. I don't want to spoil it for those who may not have seen it. But her sister and mother's story was sad. I wanted to cry when her mom said "I am going to bed"  You can neither depend on someone else for your happisness or sacrifice your own happines for others. It seems there was little left for her mother and she became depressed with the situation. That was heartbreaking to watch.

Melamwo,  I agree with you that was very sad. , heartbreaking as you said...you kind of knew that it would most likely be the last tone she would ever see her mother,  it brought tears to my eyes,  going ack to America and her husband was the right thing to do for herself as hard as it was.

Respected Contributor

@Frosted Cake wrote:

I thought the actress Saoirse Ronan was magnificent.   Her non-verbal actions were so right on with her facial expressions.   

Loved the era it was set in.

@Frosted Cake  Saoirse Ronan was also excellent in "Atonement" and "The Lovely Bones."  If you haven't already seen them, I recommend both -- especially "Atonement."  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Is this based on the book by Colm Toibin?

@insomniac2  Yes, the movie is based on the book by Colm Toibin.  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥