Contributor

Does anyone know where Bill O'Reilly has been?  He returned from vacation on Monday night, but has had a substitute host the last couple of nights.

Esteemed Contributor

He stated on Tuesday he was going to take a few days off. He said when the election coverage begins he will be on 24/7.

Regular Contributor
Honored Contributor

@KaliaMonet wrote:

Might have something to do with the sexual harassment case?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/08/23/andrea-tantaros-sues-fox-news-ailes-shine-sexual-hara...

@KaliaMonet  I don't know why it would, since he's not a defendant in the suit.

I'm not trying to defend anyone charged with sexual harassment, but again, the women who are suing at Fox would have more credibility with me if they had  done so while employed there, not after getting fired.  My understanding of Tantaros' firing from articles I read at the time (not recently or I'd post the links) was that she had a clause in her contract that she wouldn't have a book published without Foxnews' approval, but she went ahead anyway and did that and started touring promoting the book, and was fired for that. And now she claims sexual harassment.  I don't understand why these women put up with it at the time  except of course for the obvious answer - money! - but they would have a lot more credibility about their claims if they made them before getting fired.  I said the same thing about Gretchen Carlson.  It's a lose-lose.  Either sour grapes or they were willing to put up with sexual harassment for a paycheck.  In either case, the women don't have my respect.

Respected Contributor

@KaliaMonet wrote:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/08/23/andrea-tantaros-sues-fox-news-ailes-shine-sexual-hara...

Bill O'Reilly is not named as a defendant in the suit.  Tantaros included in the suit that O'Reilly asked her whether she wanted to go to his Long Island home and also said a few times that he thinks she has a "wild side."  That's it.  I'm not sure whether that would qualify as harassment under the law.  At any rate, O'Reilly is not being sued or named in the suit as a defendant.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee  I read that Gretchen had already worked with a lawyer on a suit for months before they decided not to renew her contract.  I don't know whether she knew at the time she started that it would not be renewed, though.  I believe Gretchen.  Plus, there are a lot of women saying similar things, particularly about Ailes.  I've always felt there was a bad environment at Fox regarding women and the way they dress on air.  It's my station, but I never liked that about them.

As for Tantaros, I always felt that she enjoyed wearing the skimpy outfits on TV and posing herself provocatively in her tight clothes with her skirts very short and her legs hanging out.  I never liked her.

Regular Contributor

More info on that.

https://thinkprogress.org/the-explosive-new-sexual-harassment-allegations-against-bill-oreilly-detai...

Still could be a reason for taking off until the fire dies down because his name is OUT THERE. 

@Ms X wrote:

@KaliaMonet wrote:

Bill O'Reilly is not named as a defendant in the suit.  Tantaros included in the suit that O'Reilly asked her whether she wanted to go to his Long Island home and also said a few times that he thinks she has a "wild side."  That's it.  I'm not sure whether that would qualify as harassment under the law.  At any rate, O'Reilly is not being sued or named in the suit as a defendant.

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

.  I don't understand why these women put up with it at the time  except of course for the obvious answer - money! - but they would have a lot more credibility about their claims if they made them before getting fired.  I said the same thing about Gretchen Carlson.  It's a lose-lose.  Either sour grapes or they were willing to put up with sexual harassment for a paycheck.  In either case, the women don't have my respect.
It is a crying shame what women have to put up with to make money, but money is a necessary part of life, isn't it?  Its not a dirty word.
Especially when you risk being labeled a "troublemaker" over a he-said/she-said situation, and must must have copious notes and  tons of hard evidence to make a harassment.claim stick; and when the law says you must do everything you can to preserve your job to be eligible for unemployment compensation.  I guess you can just quit if you're independently wealthy. 
Bringing a harassment suit takes a ton of guts. Especially against big-wigs like this. I have the utmost respect for them.

Respected Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

.  I don't understand why these women put up with it at the time  except of course for the obvious answer - money! - but they would have a lot more credibility about their claims if they made them before getting fired.  I said the same thing about Gretchen Carlson.  It's a lose-lose.  Either sour grapes or they were willing to put up with sexual harassment for a paycheck.  In either case, the women don't have my respect.
It is a crying shame what women have to put up with to make money, but money is a necessary part of life, isn't it?  Its not a dirty word.
Especially when you risk being labeled a "troublemaker" over a he-said/she-said situation, and must must have copious notes and  tons of hard evidence to make a harassment.claim stick; and when the law says you must do everything you can to preserve your job to be eligible for unemployment compensation.  I guess you can just quit if you're independently wealthy. 
Bringing a harassment suit takes a ton of guts. Especially against big-wigs like this. I have the utmost respect for them.

________

I agree that Gretchen Carlson had guts to sue.  How disgraceful that other Fox anchors came out in defense of Ailes.  Since then, many stories have been published about goings-on right under their noses, including harassment allegations that were settled in arbitration.  Was there no office gossip about this when these workers suddenly left?

I have new respect for Megyn Kelly, who stood firm under what must have been intense pressure to publicly defend Ailes and call Gretchen a liar.  The media pundits claimed it was Megyn's revelation to the investigators that Ailes did it to her too that brought down the whole house of cards.  Good for her!

Honored Contributor

Just thought he was taking time off - I don't read too much into that.  While GC may have a case against Fox, the other one seemed to be an instigator, without any credible proof.