Respected Contributor

Re: Big Little Lies- opinions?

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I watched it last night.  I liked it a lot,

much better than The Young Pope - to me.

Definitely apples and oranges. 

Or Catholics and Californians?

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

I watched it and liked it but the going & back forth is confusing sometimes but many shows are doing that so I taped it and can watch it again in case I missed anything.  I really had to pay attention while I was watching.  

Honored Contributor

I really liked it!  I felt like I was watching a movie.  I thought it was really well done and I can't wait to see what is to come.  It was intriguing!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

After watching the first two episodes, I'm hooked. The outside scenery is breathtaking. Can't decide which of the couples' relationships is the most interesting but I agree with the detectives ~ most of these people don't like each other.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

After watching the first two episodes, I'm wondering who cleans all those windows.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

I agree with those that say they were a little disappointed with it.

It wasn't so much the plotline itself, or the acting that gave me a problem.  I started to realize about half way in, that I was having trouble following the cutting from scene to scene...it just seemed so abrupt and choppy.  I guess that's done to make it more arty or edgy or suspenseful, but for me, it just gives me a headache.  I'm having trouble with my eyes, so all that bopping back and forth is annoying. 

Sooo, I guess it's just the editing that's a problem for me, and getting too old to appreciate modern day pacing, I suppose.

If you didn't notice this editing style first time around, maybe next time someone can see if they notice what I'm talking about.

@blueroses47, I just caught up with this.  I don't read a lot of chick lit but Liane Moriarty is my favorite chick lit author and "Big Little Lies" is my favorite of her books.  .  

The book jumps around exactly like that and IMO they have given too literal an interpretation for the series.  In the book it was suspenseful and page-turning, but I agree, in the series it's annoying, probably confusing if you haven't read the book, and definitely throws off the pace.

I'm also not happy they moved the setting from Australia to the U.S.  Don't know what they gained by that.  I probably won't watch again.

Super Contributor

Never read the book ~ enjoying the show very much!

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@blueroses47 wrote:

I agree with those that say they were a little disappointed with it.

It wasn't so much the plotline itself, or the acting that gave me a problem.  I started to realize about half way in, that I was having trouble following the cutting from scene to scene...it just seemed so abrupt and choppy.  I guess that's done to make it more arty or edgy or suspenseful, but for me, it just gives me a headache.  I'm having trouble with my eyes, so all that bopping back and forth is annoying. 

Sooo, I guess it's just the editing that's a problem for me, and getting too old to appreciate modern day pacing, I suppose.

If you didn't notice this editing style first time around, maybe next time someone can see if they notice what I'm talking about.

@blueroses47, I just caught up with this.  I don't read a lot of chick lit but Liane Moriarty is my favorite chick lit author and "Big Little Lies" is my favorite of her books.  .  

The book jumps around exactly like that and IMO they have given too literal an interpretation for the series.  In the book it was suspenseful and page-turning, but I agree, in the series it's annoying, probably confusing if you haven't read the book, and definitely throws off the pace.

I'm also not happy they moved the setting from Australia to the U.S.  Don't know what they gained by that.  I probably won't watch again.

Thanks LoriLori, for responding.  I haven't read the books, so I can't compare, but it's interesting that the style of the book was like that too, and it's being done that way on screen.  It seems to me that a lot of things in movies and TV are edited in a very fast pace, I think it's the modern way of filming things.  You don't see that done in older films.

I watched the second episode and it was the same kind of switching from one setting to another, barely staying on one before switching to an entirely different time and place.  I like everything else about it, though, so I'll keep with it now that we're getting to know the characters better. I think I would have liked it better set in Australia, too. I don't know why, but I love Australia as a setting.

Honored Contributor

@blueroses47, the book is fantastic.  I recommend it.  This miniseries doesn't do it justice and in a way it could never, because of the unique style of the book.  In the book the characters speak about "the incident" and "that night" and the stuff leading up to it, just as they do in the miniseries, in between the chapters, and it's only at the very end we find out what actually happened.  It's very effective, not so on screen.

Esteemed Contributor

So  I watched the second episode and think I will stick with it! 
Am not loving the acting much...seems a bit over acted.  But am getting hooked on the story.  And just love the scenery...those homes and their seaside views!!