Respected Contributor

Re: Big Little Lies- opinions?

@Jordan2 wrote:

I liked it. This is a limited series with 8 episodes. I wonder if we won't find out the victim's identity until the final episode.

Supposedly, THAT isn't even the big twist. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Reese was so good in it. David E Kelley adapted it for tv- he did Ally McBeal, The Practice, Boston Legal, and other shows. I saw Shailene Woodley on an interview this morning, she said the book was set in Australia.

I wonder if Reese is wearing some clothes from her own line Draper James. Cute clothes, not inexpensive. I liked that floral dress and shrug too.

Darn!  I thought you were on to something. Just did a little research:

Dress:
Rose Print Brocade Dress by Dolce & Gabbana
Shoes:
'Arabella' Suede Pumps by Ralph Lauren
Bag:
'Alice' Mini Satchel by Chloe

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Trusted Contributor

My husband and I watched it.  We live in Monterey County and it was all so familiar and fun to see in a movie.  I felt it was  engaging, and this story is certainly not what it seems.

I like all the actors.  When it was filming in Monterey, it was a big story.

We have been dealing with three and a half days without electricity, as a result of the storms, so when it came back this afternoon, it felt like such a big deal to have a nice "movie" to watch.

I enjoy everyone else's comments.

Esteemed Contributor

I like it and will watch again. I think the acting is pretty good and in general its well done. It kept my attention.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

I watched it last night.  I liked it a lot,

much better than The Young Pope - to me.

Respected Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

I'm hooked. I will be interested to see why all the venom towards Reese's character, so far she's the only one I like!  Nicole looks terrible, IMHO. I'm also thinking the younger woman Jane, is on the run from an abusive ex and she and Nicole will eventually bond over that. 

ETA ... I LOVED Reese's maroon flowered dress and shrug sweater at the parent orientation!  I couldn't take my eyes off her outfit!

I wonder if that outfit was from her clothing line?

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

It held my attention (not an easy task these days).  I thought the acting was superior.  I especially like Reese Witherspoon's acting (I'm a fan of her's).

I think a lot of places (surprisingly) are like this little area.  They are everywhere (in small towns, big towns, rich and poor towns).  It survives because the (mostly) women are so many different personalities with one common denominator (their children and the will for them to achieve).  Most of these women will do whatever it takes to say, "My kid is great".  You see it everywhere you interact with a group of women.  There will always be one or two who seem to think their child is better

My daughters danced for 13 years.  I've encountered several of these groups at different times.  Most of the women I met were amazing, but there were a few who weren't so wonderful.

Well said.  I've been the mom in the parking lot and I've also been the teacher observing the moms in the parking lot.  I've seen similar things happening by overbearing moms. 

Respected Contributor

I really liked the book.  I decided to commit because it was a limited series.  The first episode was okay. I'll admit, it's been awhile since I read the book so I can't remember how closely it followed the story line.  I want to say that it was pretty close though.

Esteemed Contributor

@reena22 wrote:

Big Little Lies episode 1, “Someone’s Dead”: the killing isn’t the show’s most compelling mystery - Vox

Spoiler warning: This article recaps the first episode of HBO’s Big Little Lies and discusses specific plot details at length.

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/19/14640858/big-little-lies-episode-1-recap-someones-dead

---------------------------------------

Thanks for the link. Don't like the flash forward segments...really confusing!  I am not sure I love this show, but it was interesting.  Loved the scenery!!  I like the characters. Ms. Dern is doing a great job a being the "b**tch" of the show!

Respected Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

I'm hooked. I will be interested to see why all the venom towards Reese's character, so far she's the only one I like!  Nicole looks terrible, IMHO. I'm also thinking the younger woman Jane, is on the run from an abusive ex and she and Nicole will eventually bond over that. 

ETA ... I LOVED Reese's maroon flowered dress and shrug sweater at the parent orientation!  I couldn't take my eyes off her outfit!

I wonder if that outfit was from her clothing line?

Nope. We thought maybe it was too. But it's Dolce and Gabbana. I posted the details a few posts up. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )