Honored Contributor

Re: Beauty and the Beast with Emma Watson

According to the internet, the "controversial scene" is exactly 3 seconds.  So if you blink, you miss it.

You also have to know that inanimate animated objects are male or female.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The controversy preceding the movie's release was that they changed the character of LeFou. There were all sorts of rumors going around about exactly HOW they would portray him in the movie, but DD told me it was no big deal.

She did say Emma Watson was the weak link in the movie. She loved Luke Evans as Gaston, and said Dan Stevens as the Beast was OK. She said she wished Anna Kendrick had played Belle. Apparently Emma did her own singing. 

I remember watching the Academy Awards when the original Disney movie came out and watching Paige O'Hara and Richard White sing "Belle." I thought the voice actors fit their characters so well, and wow - could they SING! The set was recreated. I taped it and watched it over and over!

DD also made the comment about not taking young children, including telling a good friend of ours with a 5-yr. old, because the movie is long, there is some talk of death, and there is some violence. Some younger ones might be able to handle this. Our friends thought their daughter would not sit still, so they decided to stick to the cartoon Disney version for now! 

@VaBelle35 - Thanks for the explanation about Celine Dion. I'm one who thought she should be singing the original song! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I hope to see it this week. I love all things Disney/Pixar and just love the escapism of them. And the positive messages, too much "princess" aside (and they have modernized that too). 

Anyway I don't give a hoot about the so called controversy and think it's so ridiculous that it even is one. It's not hurting the box office-I read that it set a new record for advance ticket sales. Bet it made a fortune this weekend.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

Aren't the animated versions just as "scary", talking about death and dying. Didn't Le Fou seem a little out there , the same as Gaston.?  

I must be the only person on earth that never liked

A.  SNOW WHITE

B.   Bambi

C.   Cinderella

All of the Disney films are scary, if this is pretty much what the little one is taught by the grown-ups.

just asking    tedEbear