Honored Contributor

Anyone watch the kids baking w/Valerie and Duff?

Watched the one today about candy. These kids had to use 3 different kinds of candy to create a desert. Valerie and Duff thought the deserts were too sweet. What did they expect?  I was so upset I sent an E-Mail to the the Food Network.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone watch the kids baking w/Valerie and Duff?

Yes, I watch every week.  It's fun to watch the kids, and they do a good job.  Duff and Valerie on the wole find something good to say about every dish.  If a dish fails badly, they'll point out that some days are like that, that even they have baking disasters,too, andt they will offer guidance about what may have gone wrong and how to fix it next time.  I think Duff and Valerie are great in how they judge the kids.  They're very supportive.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched and I can't imagine why you were upset.  The one that they thought was too sweet was the one the little girl sprinkled pixie stick crystals (as I recall) on top of what was already a too sugary top.  They were complimentary of at least a couple including the boy who won and the girl who flambeed the pinwell sucker chips on the top of hers.  Candy was supposed to be a part of what they prepared but I think they even mentioned at the beginning they didn't want the dessert to be overly sweet.    

Honored Contributor

I thought they were very supportive. It is a cooking challenge and these kids  knew going into it that it would be  difficult.  The judges even offered suggestions to the kids when they kids were having a hard time.

Respected Contributor

I love this show. I like the kid cooking shows like this one and Master Chef Junior.  I would imagine that an extensive interview process with the kids and parents would be conducted on how they might handle the elimination process before selecting the contestants.  I like how supportive the children are with one another.  Don't see the "back stabbing" you might see with competitive adults!

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Super Contributor

I'm enjoying this show and think Duff and Valerie are great.

Poor little Jane used three cups of sugar in her frosting along with pixi sticks.  Of course it was too sweet!

The ones who succeeded knew how to temper the sweetness of the candy with other favors.

Honored Contributor

If you had to make a desert w/3 kinds of candies what would you make? 

Respected Contributor

FN is showing 4 episodes this afternoon.

Honored Contributor

I've watched the majority of this season but find frequently when it's down to the bottom 2, I disagree with who they sent home. (Peggy should have gone with her macarons)

I like Duff and Valerie, it's the kids that can be a bit too precocious. (and confident)

Honored Contributor

I LOVE that show!

I think Duff & Valerie do a great job. I agree, they always try to find something nice to say. If the dish doesn't look very good, they mention the taste. If it doesn't taste quite right, they mention the nice presentation.

I think they are very encouraging & supportive!