Respected Contributor

Re: Any one watch The Lost Daughter ?

Spoiler
I wasn't aware there was a discussion about the ending of this movie , if she died at the end , now i understand why. Also i can't understand why Ed Harris didn't question the doll laying on the table , with all of the flyers posted in the area.
Trusted Contributor

I watched this movie last night, the ending was hard to interpret.  A lot of good actors in this film.  Peter Sarsgaard who plays professor Hardy in the flashback scene is married in real life to Maggie Gyllenhaal made her directorial debut with this movie.

Valued Contributor

Olivia Coleman is great in everything but we did not enjoy is movie. It was confusing, especially the ending. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I came here this morning to ask this question,i just watched last night,  can not say i liked it,just did not enjoy.I have seen olivia in other movies,tv series,she is good ,but this movie was not.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

I saw this movie tonight and enjoyed it. Dakota Johnson did such a great job as Nina and the turn toward the end shocked me.

Not sure why anyone would be afraid of the subject matter. There are no lost children in the movie, ultimately. Only the reflections of a woman who wasn't exactly a paragon of motherhood and wasn't afraid to confront it.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We watched it last night and my DH asked me three times when will it be over.  A very slow, drawn out movie where you ask yourself the entire time when are we going to find out what this is really about.  It'sbasically about a bunch of mean, dysfunctional, rude, depressed people who meet each other in Europe on vacation. I don't understand the good reviews.

Trusted Contributor

@decaf wrote:

We watched it last night and my DH asked me three times when will it be over.  A very slow, drawn out movie where you ask yourself the entire time when are we going to find out what this is really about.  It'sbasically about a bunch of mean, dysfunctional, rude, depressed people who meet each other in Europe on vacation. I don't understand the good reviews.

I think you summed it up quite nicely. 

I like the slower brooding movies, but this one was at times in reverse. It was only Olivia Colman and the emotions conveyed just thru her facial expressions that saved it for me 

Also, I never realized how beautiful Dakota Johnson is. I didn't even know it was her till I checked the list of actors.  

Respected Contributor

I saw the previews and decided it was too depressing for me, even though I love Oliva Coleman.  I don't understand why they can't make movies/shows somewhere between syrupy and dark/depressing? 

Respected Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

@decaf wrote:

I think you summed it up quite nicely. 

I like the slower brooding movies, but this one was at times in reverse. It was only Olivia Colman and the emotions conveyed just thru her facial expressions that saved it for me 

Also, I never realized how beautiful Dakota Johnson is. I didn't even know it was her till I checked the list of actors.  

I kept thinking this girl is beautiful , but also didn't even for once think it was Dakota.

Honored Contributor

I watched this today, while I thought Olivia Coleman and Dakota Johnson were both good, I didn't like this movie. I thought it was slow moving and I didn't care for the storyline. Oh yeah, I thought Jessie Buckley was also very good as the younger Olivia Coleman character. She was excellent in the Fargo season with Chris Rock.