Valued Contributor

I would like to start watching but wondered if I should start with the first season or can you just jump in anywhere?

Honored Contributor

Baylie, I believe they're meant to stand on their own, at least until Hotel.  I read that Hotel will bring back a little of past season's stuff.  But I didn't watch Freak Show and I'm not worried.  The first season and Coven are my favorites.  

Honored Contributor

Re: American Horror Story

[ Edited ]

Each season is a different topic, so you can watch which ever one you want to in whatever order you want to.

Eta: I haven't heard anything about Hotel showing parts of the old shows. 

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

Baylie, I believe they're meant to stand on their own, at least until Hotel.  I read that Hotel will bring back a little of past season's stuff.  But I didn't watch Freak Show and I'm not worried.  The first season and Coven are my favorites.  

Hi Lori. I thought Freak Show was pretty stupid! The same two that were your favorites were mine as well. 

Honored Contributor

As others have stated, each season is a different story.  HOWEVER, most of the actors from the previous seasons also appear in the new season(s) playing different characters.

With the exception of Jessica Lang who decided not to continue w/the show after the "carnival" season. Smiley Sad

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

As other posters have said, each season is a completely new story.  But many of the same actors are in each new story.  

I will be sad that Jessica Lange is not part of the show any more.  She has been excellent.  But I can understand her leaving, as in my opinion, each season has gotten weaker.  

I will be looking forward to seeing how Lady Gaga's character is!  

I think you would really enjoy the first 2 seasons as I think they were the best.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

Each season is a different topic, so you can watch which ever one you want to in whatever order you want to.

Is this my Colliemom that I've known for years?  And if it is, big hug!!!  (And if it's not, hi, nice to meet you LOL.)

Thanks, Q, for the spoiler tags:

Spoiler
The Black Dahlia was seen in the hotel this is based on, which was the scene of another bizarre unsolved muder, and what I read said we'll see her again and there will be other ties to season one, now known as Murder House
Respected Contributor

The Coven season was my favorite....I could not even watch all of the 3rd season Freak Show (it was freakish)....not sure if I'll watch this season or not.  

Honored Contributor

I've enjoyed them so far, except that I didn't get to finish Season one.  Something happened with my Season Pass, about two episodes in, and I didn't realize it for a few weeks so there was no point in finishing.

I do have the DVDs of S01, though, and plan to watch it at some point.

This new one looks promising.

As others have stated you totally don't need to have seen previous seasons to pick up the show.   The only thing they have had in common are the cast, and each season they are completely different characters.

I'll miss Jessica Lange.  She is such a great actor anyway, and I have enjoyed her run with this franchise.  Looks like we'll keep Angela Bassett, Kathy Bates (love them both!), and numerous others from previous seasons.  Plus, picking up Lady Gaga this season.  I'll look forward to her performance.  I bet she will probably be a pretty good actor.  I hope so, anyway.  Smiley Happy   Since she will be a principal, it needs to work.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

Is this my Colliemom that I've known for years?  And if it is, big hug!!!  (And if it's not, hi, nice to meet you LOL.)

Thanks, Q, for the spoiler tags:

Spoiler
The Black Dahlia was seen in the hotel this is based on, which was the scene of another bizarre unsolved muder, and what I read said we'll see her again and there will be other ties to season one, now known as Murder House

Hi Lori. It's me. Big hugs back at ya.